Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #1 
ryancalif

Prime

So I had to figure out what all the hoopla was about regarding Seachem's Prime. I bought a bottle of it last week and am going to use it later today when I change the water in my tank.

I noticed that the concentration is much higher than with Stresscoat or Kordon's Water Conditioner (what I currently use). The problem is that my tank is on the smaller side (5.5g), and since I end up changing only 25-40% of the water at a time, the dosage of Prime seems like it's going to be difficult to measure out. It's 1ml per 10 gallons (or the lower thread on the cap as the bottle says... even though the threads have a pitch to them ). So I'd have to measure out roughly 250 to 400 microliters for my water changes.

Given how popular this stuff seems on here, I'm curious how everyone else is dosing it out on their smaller tanks. I mean I could always just round up to 1ml and just add that since it seems easier, but that would seem to defeat the point of having a higher concentration water conditioner.

I thought about finding a graduated eyedropper to measure this stuff out, but curious if anyone had a "MacGuyver" solution instead. Thanks

Last edited by ryancalif; 04-05-2013 at 10:32 AM.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

I have 1 gallon tanks. so I'm supposed to use 2 drops. However, I often add three or four times that. lol
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #3 
pittipuppylove

I use a 1cc oral dosing syringe that I got from work - it easily doses down to .1cc. Only problem is that it needs to be replaced on occasion because they're not designed to be used a lot, so the plunger gets sticky and the measuring marks start to wear off.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

I just pour enough prime to cover the bottom of the cap or a little more for my smaller tanks. I don't worry about adding too much, nothing bad is going to happen if I double dose my 5g tank.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #5 
Blue Fish

I use the drops method, that seems to work well. I have an old eyedropper that I keep with my fish stuff for that. :)
As Aokashi said, it's 2 drops per gallon, but like her, I usually go an extra drop just in case. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #6 
Otterfun

I use my Aqueon or API cap to measure 1mL, then dilute 1mL into a container with 10 notches and pour 1 notch per gal for my WC and QT cup. I usually up up 2-3gal a day and discard the rest.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #7 
ryancalif

Great info! Thanks all. ^I use the same blue measuring cap too, lol. Genius design on their part...

I'll give the drop method a shot. 20 drops/ml
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

Because I have the larger bottle, which has no dropper, I use a 1ml syringe that I got from the vet, but you can get them from chemists, too. :) It's a super-easy, super-accurate way to do it. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote