Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #21 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeAngel View Post
I just wanted to say something on this question.

A bit of aquarium salt added once in a while to your tank can be benneficial to freshwater tanks, though I've read that some live plants don't agree with that... so check it out if you have a PT.

But epsom salt should only be used when your fish is sick and for short baths, because it can stress the betta out too. Even though epsom baths generaly got 15-20 minutes, my husband's betta laid on his side on the bottom and had a hard time breathing after we put him in the bath for ony 2 minutes, and that was with a little less than the recommended salt to water ratio.

I just wanted to throw that out there... because last time I went to add aquarium salt, I accidentally threw in epsom salt. The salt boxes are identical but one is blue and one is green. I had to take the betta and frog out and clean the entire thing as a result. So if you decide to add a little aquarium salt with tank maintnance, just don't make my mistake and make sure it's actually aquarium salt you're adding, hehe :)
Oddly enough, everything I've read and all my experience disagrees with this.
It's not a good idea to use AQ salt (and never use table salt!) as a preventative, as long-term it can have negative effects on your betta's internal organs (I think it's the kidneys). It also causes them to build up a tolerance to it, so when you use it medicinally, it is less effective. It should only be used as a medication, not as something you add regularly.

Epsom salt is not harmful when used over a longer period of time. My last girl Artemis suffered from internal parasites, and I kept her in a tank with 1 tsp per gallon of epsom salt for a 15 day run in order to get her to expel them. It was perfectly safe, and did no damage to the other fish in the tank. I suspect something else was wrong with your betta that suffered in the bath - perhaps shock acclimatisation, or some other cause.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #22 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Oddly enough, everything I've read and all my experience disagrees with this.
It's not a good idea to use AQ salt (and never use table salt!) as a preventative, as long-term it can have negative effects on your betta's internal organs (I think it's the kidneys). It also causes them to build up a tolerance to it, so when you use it medicinally, it is less effective. It should only be used as a medication, not as something you add regularly.

Epsom salt is not harmful when used over a longer period of time. My last girl Artemis suffered from internal parasites, and I kept her in a tank with 1 tsp per gallon of epsom salt for a 15 day run in order to get her to expel them. It was perfectly safe, and did no damage to the other fish in the tank. I suspect something else was wrong with your betta that suffered in the bath - perhaps shock acclimatisation, or some other cause.

It could have been shock, but from what I wouldn't know. The water was the exact temp of his tank water and everything, I tried it a couple times a day for a few days and it was always the same. He didn't have that problem before we put him it, he just started to sink to the bottom after about 20-30 seconds, then lay on his side and appeared to be gasping and very stressed.

I wonder which is right though, because I've also read the opposite of what you say. Just like everything about aquatic animal care, there seems to be a lot of conflicting information about proper care. Funny enough, it was people in this forum who first suggested I add a bit of aqs regularly, which is why I researched it.

Though your point on becoming immune to it does make sense. The only thing is that since I started putting aqs in my tank, my betta has become more active. But in the end, I find scientific journals to be much much better to reference than people online, so if you know of any, I would love to read up on it When there is such conflicting information, and all of it seems to come from different "reliable" resources, it seems the only way to decide is to dive in and get to the actual studies behind it.
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #23 
Bombalurina

I wish I could find a journal on it - I do subcribe to a (free!) aquatic magazine, but it usually only deals with rarer species. The person who warned me off AQ salt as a regular thing was OldFishLady, and her experience and knowledge is just so ridiculously vast that I trust whatever she has to say on the subject. Such a shame she is gone. :(
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #24 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I wish I could find a journal on it - I do subcribe to a (free!) aquatic magazine, but it usually only deals with rarer species. The person who warned me off AQ salt as a regular thing was OldFishLady, and her experience and knowledge is just so ridiculously vast that I trust whatever she has to say on the subject. Such a shame she is gone. :(
Still, keep an open eye :) If you run across anything, please do share
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote