Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2013, 01:38 AM   #1 
majew092

Betta nipping silk plants

I bought silk plants for my betta, Apollo, a month ago but lately Apollo seems to have developed the hobby of biting and ripping the edges of these plants. I have yet to catch him in the act; however, the plants show the evidence. How do I get him to stop ripping the plants? Is it because he is bored? If so how do I keep him from being bored?
Oh, there are two sword plants that are silk and one plastic grass bed/circle that he loves to hide in.
majew092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:04 AM   #2 
jadaBlu

They can fray and that can be dangerous for him to swallow the threads. I have had mine fray without fishy assistance though. My solution might not be a safe one since my fish are not eating/causing fraying. I am removing the silk plants trimming them and painting aquarium silicone on the bottom of the leaves to stop the fraying. Maybe you should go ahead and switch to some easy care live plants instead.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:38 AM   #3 
quietlythundering

Interesting. I'm assuming he's being fed enough? Lol, of course he is! Where is his tank set? I agree that maybe you should replace his plants, but perhaps the reason he's doing it is cause he's bored? I find that my males are more active (and in my Neil's case, less likely to bite his tail) when they're placed next to a pretty girl. Maybe he needs a little more visual stimulation? Or you could try toys! I've heard of bettas playing with ping pong balls and moss balls too.
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote