Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #1 
fishyinpa

I got a 10 gallon!

Hey all I went to petsmart last night to return some stuff. While i was there i noticed all tanks were on sale,20% off. They had a kit for a 10 came with a hood,but it was incandescent and i didnt know if i would be able to find small flourscents to go in it. So I went with a 10 gallon with nothing with it. It was a lil less than 10 bucks. I then got a glass lid which was 10 bucks too. I figure I can use the light that came with my 5.5. Itd just sit on the glass top anyways. So all good. As of now he is still in his 5.5. Ive been battling ammonia for awhile now,finally got it down to a .5 again. I think its been going thru minicycles or something. So im wondering if it would be easier to cycle the 10? If so,should i dump his water from the 5.5 in the 10 and fill er up? Or just fresh dechlorinated water. Of course ill transfer over his plants,gravel and cave. I even got him a new small cave that matches the cave he has now hehe. So whatchas think? I know i know dont cycle with a betta...bad bad bad...but like i mentioned before i dont have another area to set up another tank to let it cycle without him in it. If i wouldve kept the 2.5 i mightve been able to do something with that,but alas thats one thing i returned lol. Well thanks for reading. Im out for now,going to get my furry critters some fresh hay yay!!!
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:56 AM   #2 
stephenmontero

The water is worthless. If you moved all the gravel and such and the water as well as any filter media you would be well on your way to achieving a cycle and I think your betta could do okay well everything balanced out.

For that ammonia one thing that works wonders is AmQuel by Kordon it will knock out the remaining ammonia and its safe well I trust it and would recommend it.
stephenmontero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Glad you got a good deal on a 10 gallon. They have some good sales at Petsmart right now. Too bad they don't have bettas on sale! lol. I'd buy some more! But then, I'd have to have something to house them all in. haa
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #4 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Glad you got a good deal on a 10 gallon. They have some good sales at Petsmart right now. Too bad they don't have bettas on sale! lol. I'd buy some more! But then, I'd have to have something to house them all in. haa
Yeah, the fish themselves aren't that expensive compared to the setups! Because if it wasn't so expensive to set up the tanks I'd sure have a lot more!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'd have tanks if I had more room and more $$$$.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #6 
willow

congrats on the new tank. :)
i think the tank setting up is the most exciting bit for me. :)
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:24 PM   #7 
mags2313

Thumbs up

Yay.. Isn't it exciting!! addicting too.
Next Goal: Save up for a 30 gal or something and use 10gal as hospital/quarantine tank.... Hurrah!
mags2313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #8 
fishyinpa

ooh a 30 gallon sounds lovely! Though id want that for my gerbils lol not my fish. They are in a 29 gallon right now. Thanks everyone! I have been using amquel/novaqua as a matter of fact. Itd be nice to start fresh,no chemicals in his water all that. Other than conditioner. So i shall do that. I hope he likes! Lol. Oh i will be using the same filter i have on my 5.5. Its an aquaclear 20.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:08 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I bet he'll love all that room. :) And you'll have room for decorations and plants, too.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:37 PM   #10 
fishyinpa

oh yah. i got some more caves and plants hehe. nah hes not a spoiled fish or anything....