Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #21 
Agility4fun

If you want to take this a step further, breeding for color and fin type is also wrong. If you're breeding, you should be breeding for healthier, stronger fish; improving the fish. Brighter colors or more lavish fins are absolutely worthless to the fish's survival. Simply look to the dog world for examples of what has gone wrong when you breed for color/coat type.
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #22 
iGoatfish

Breeding fish that live longer. Interesting! Like Koi that live 150 years
iGoatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #23 
trilobite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility4fun View Post
If you want to take this a step further, breeding for color and fin type is also wrong. If you're breeding, you should be breeding for healthier, stronger fish; improving the fish. Brighter colors or more lavish fins are absolutely worthless to the fish's survival. Simply look to the dog world for examples of what has gone wrong when you breed for color/coat type.
The we would only have wild type plakats.
You could then argue that the people breeding them for fighting are doing a better job as they are selecting for strength and vitality.
A long finned fancy fighter bred only for looks is a pampered pet, it doesnt need to avoid predators, hunt for food or defend territories.
Breeding dogs for looks alone is a whole different argument as dogs serve/served working purposes and breeding for looks alone eliminates that ability.
Ornamental fish however have been bred only for looks and thats why we keep them. Their only "job" is to look pretty and beg owner for food
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #24 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Quote:
So, I guess we should all stop supporting and buying the long finned types? And like trilobite said, in that case we should support the breeders of fighters because they aim for strength and vitality. These are ornamental fish, they do perfectly fine with their long fins and colors. By the time you can judge the lifespan of a fish, they would be to old to safely breed. And to address the feeding to other fish point, I agree that it is natural and the fish is "recycled", but there are no oscars where bettas live, and how can we truly say that it is painless?

To address the op's original question, I will only cull those with deformities that will ruin their lives. They can be culled as soon as you know that they have the disability.

Edit: Im sorry that this has become a debate. It has got to be one of, if not the most controversial topics in breeding.

Last edited by MattsBettas; 04-05-2013 at 04:27 PM.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #25 
Myates

If you care for the parents properly and they are healthy.. and care for the fry properly with the right water changes, food, temp, etc.. then it doesn't matter if they are long or short finned.

One can breed healthy bettas for looks..

I made the mistake of not culling my 550+ fry spawn sooner, as even with multiple grow out tanks they are growing a bit slower than normal. I ended up culling for size, as they all looked healthy and not deformed. Down to about 60-75 fry at the most from that spawn. Culling is a good thing - cull for deformities early on, then cull the runts and then cull for what you can't care for and yes, cull for what you believe won't be sold (looks wise) (unless have a LFS willing to take them off your hands).

You do your best to make sure your fry are healthy, that is all you can do. But as stated, these are ornamental fish created by man.. as long as the breeder did right by them, after that it's up to the owners of each fish how healthy it will be. Can't change the life span. In the wild the life span of a splenden (if lucky) is 2-4 yrs. In captivity our ornamental fish have a life span of 1-6 years, some up to 8 years depending on OWNERS and how they care for each fish... so I guess the breeders are doing a decent job at making sure they breed for health :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #26 
isochronism

Agility say's: "You should be breeding for healthier, stronger fish"...& "Simply look at the dog world of what has gone wrong when you breed for color/coat type"
Very, Very Well Put!!!!!
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #27 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

DOGS ARE DIFFERENT IN SO, SO MANY WAYS.

Comparing dogs, a traditionally working animal to bettas, a ornamental fish, makes no sense at all. And in using your logic we should all be breeding and keeping traditional PK fighters.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #28 
LittleBettaFish

I agree. Betta splendens (excluding traditional/fighting PKs) are bred purely for aesthetics. If you look at the show standards for these fish it is very much based on how the fish looks (of course attitude does have a role to play).

Therefore, I see nothing wrong with fish being culled because they do not fit this ideal. That is the purpose of the ornamental Betta splendens and the reason for their popularity today. They are a fish whose only real 'job' is to look good in a glass box.

The fancier strains no longer have to survive out in the wild or fight against other males. Therefore, selecting for these traits is not necessary.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #29 
justmel

I wouldn't worry over much that this has turned into a debate. I hope no one has ended up with wounded feeling with everyone expressing their opinion. I've gotten a lot of good information here and feel much better on being able to handle a cull. I do have a LFS that will take my bettas. Currently they have theirs shipped in & they would love a local breeder.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #30 
DezernGirl

I suppose you can breed for whatever suits your fancy. I personally wouldn't want an un attractive fish that's so healty its stuck with me for years. I think someone should be able to strive for both. I don't know how dogs got brought into this, but they should also be bred for health, purpose, and desired look, just like fish. A Betta's purpose is to look pretty.
DezernGirl is offline   Reply With Quote