Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #1 
rmarkham

Exclamation I have no idea what's wrong.. is this Dropsy?

Hi guys...

I've noticed that over the past week or so my male crowntail has been a bit more lethargic than normal.

I haven't changed anything in his tank, I haven't added anything new... Well, I added a few plants from my 29G, but no one in that tank has been having any issues.. so I doubt it's from that.

He's been eating fine.. but I've been fasting him for a few days because he looked a little bloated..

Here are my parameters

Tank size- 5 gallons
Temp- 80 F
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate- 5ppm
pH- 6.8
I use Prime with every water change
I also use Vita-chem and garlic guard for food soakings on occasion
He has a nerite snail in there as well, but that guy is older than he is.

Drugs I have on hand if needed: API erythromycin, Kanaplex, API triple sulfa, Praziquel, Epson salt, AQ salt.

I feed NLS pellets every day, and fast one day a week. Rarely, maybe a few times a month I'll offer frozen brine shrimp or daphnia

I came home last night and saw that Mr. Squiggles looks pineconed.... He looks okay from the side.. but if you look form above it's apparent.

I took him out of his tank so I could take some pictures.

He was pooping in this one

This was from the side... with flash and he looks fine.. I don't get it.

Please help! I just lost a fish from a long term eye injury and really don't want to lose another :(
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #2 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I don't know anything about fish, but the raised scales do remind me of dropsy...
If you have aquarium salt on hand I should say douse him right away to try and slow the Edema, if it builds too far you wont have him long as it will cause water intoxication and shut down his kidneys.
I hope a more experienced person can help you further :(

Last edited by Taeanna; 04-06-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

No! Do not dose with Aquarium salt to reduce edema! Aquarium salt contains sodium, which causes fluid retention, AND stresses the kidneys! This is the last thing you want with a fish that is bloated and pineconing.

If anything, I recommend using Epsom salt. It does not contain sodium, and therefore does not contribute to bloating or cause kidney stress. In fact, it is a laxative, and reduces edema.

Pineconing and dropsy are symptoms. They are not a disease in itself. So the question is: what could be causing this?

Even in the sideview picture, where you said he looks OK, it looks to me like he is a little bloated. I would use Epsom salt as a starting point for treatment. Even if it can't treat the problem, it may help make him more comfortable. (Epsom salt also has mild antimicrobial activity, and does not affect the internal organs that way that Aquarium salt does.)

If you want to try Epsom salt, here is one way to do it. This is based on advice that Oldfishlady has recommended to people whose fish had symptoms of dropsy:
  1. Add 3 teaspoons of Epsom salt to 1 gal of conditioned water. Mix/stir until the salt is COMPLETELY dissolved. Make sure the water is the same temp as the current tank water.
  2. Do a series of four 25% water changes, using the treated water. Every 15-20 min, change out 25% of the current tank water, and replace with the newly treated water.
  3. Starting tomorrow, make 50% water changes every other day. (Or more often if the fish is in a small tank.)
  4. Keep the fish in the treated water for 10-14 days.

Also, put some plastic wrap over the top of the tank. This will provide humidity, and make it easier to breathe. There should be at LEAST an inch of air between the water and plastic wrap. (I try to leave several inches when I do this.)

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 04-06-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Added directions for using Epsom salt
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #4 
rmarkham

I haven't done anything yet, but agree that aq salt isn't going to help with edema/swelling..

I'm just stumped as to why this would randomly happen..

I think I'll do a massive water change, and add some epson salt.. but what would be a good dose/gallon

OH, and does epson salt hurt snails?
Old 04-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #5 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
No! Do not dose with Aquarium salt to reduce edema! Aquarium salt contains sodium, which causes fluid retention, AND stresses the kidneys! This is the last thing you want with a fish that is bloated and pineconing.

If anything, I recommend using Epsom salt. It does not contain sodium, and therefore does not contribute to bloating or cause kidney stress. In fact, it is a laxative, and reduces edema.

Pineconing and dropsy are symptoms. They are not a disease in itself. So the question is: what could be causing this?

Even in the sideview picture, where you said he looks OK... it looks to me like he is a little bloated? I would use Epsom salt as a starting point for treatment.

(Hold on... going to edit this in a second with info on Epsom salt, but I wanted to post the Aq salt warning quickly!)
Oh dear I named the wrong one! I apologize greatly. I mixed up my salts and typed the wrong one without realizing. I feel terrible now.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #6 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeanna View Post
Oh dear I named the wrong one! I apologize greatly. I mixed up my salts and typed the wrong one without realizing. I feel terrible now.

Don't feel bad! I haven't done anything yet :)
Old 04-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

rmarkham - see the directions that I just posted. OFL's recommendation for cases like this is 3 teaspoons of Epsom salt per gallon of conditioned water. (See step 1.) I'd noted that I was going to edit the post to include directions, and I've got them listed now. I just wanted to get that warning up there not to use Aq salt....

Taeanna - no problem. It got caught before anything was added, so it's OK.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #8 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarkham View Post
Don't feel bad! I haven't done anything yet :)
Thank goodness!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #9 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
rmarkham - see the directions that I just posted. OFL's recommendation for cases like this is 3 teaspoons of Epsom salt per gallon of conditioned water. (See step 1.) I'd noted that I was going to edit the post to include directions, and I've got them listed now. I just wanted to get that warning up there not to use Aq salt....

Taeanna - no problem. It got caught before anything was added, so it's OK.
Thank you!

Do you think that the edema could be from something as simple as him being bloated?
Old 04-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #10 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Espom salt would be the first treatment to try to get the swelling down. Hang in there for more help or we can pm someone.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote