Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #11 
rmarkham

I did a 100% water change and added epson salt, I only did 2tsp per gallon to start.. and will keep that up for a few days.. if I don't see any change I'll up the dose to 3tsp per gallon.

I took out the nerite snail and moved him to the tank next door so he doesn't have to endure any of this.

I'll keep you guys posted.
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #12 
LittleBlueFishlets

Yes, when my guy became bloated, he swelled up. The Epsom salt reduced the fluid retention.

But for your guy.... I'm more concerned about the pineconing.

I'd put him into Epsom salt. And while waiting the 15 min or so between water changes, I'd send a quick PM to someone like Sakura8, Olympia or Callistra....

It looks like Olympia is online right now. You may want to contact her: http://www.bettafish.com/member.php?u=29817
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #13 
SpookyTooth

During this process it may be best to fast your betta but if you really feel you want (or need) to feed him you might want to try daphnia. Frozen is typically best but freeze-dried is okay as well (though don't give too much); the reason I recommend this is because daphnia is also known as a laxative and may help ease some discomfort. Again, it might be worth fasting the fish for a few days first while he's in epsom salts to see if there are any changes.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #14 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyTooth View Post
During this process it may be best to fast your betta but if you really feel you want (or need) to feed him you might want to try daphnia. Frozen is typically best but freeze-dried is okay as well (though don't give too much); the reason I recommend this is because daphnia is also known as a laxative and may help ease some discomfort. Again, it might be worth fasting the fish for a few days first while he's in epsom salts to see if there are any changes.
I think I'll fast him tonight, but I do have frozen daphnia on hand just incase.. He hasn't had a frozen food treat for a while, so I'll give it a shot tomorrow for sure.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #15 
SpookyTooth

Great! Best of luck, it's a horrible situation to be in - I've been there too many times and still hate the sight of pineconing. There's only so much you can do but it's obvious that you're doing your best - hang in there!!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #16 
rmarkham

Thank you!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #17 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I have dealt with more dropsy than I would like to admit in the past few weeks (no bettas though).
I would keep up the Epsom and I would treat with Kanaplex right away. I'm slow to treat fish but even treating right away with dropsy seems to be proving futile for me, so I would jump to the strongest stuff right away now... Some would mix it into food but this would be hard with pellets and it seems debatable whether direct feeding helps much more (either way it will get inside him)...

Note that dropsy is organ failure in most cases, but his damage doesn't look too bad just yet and may prove reversible...

How hard is your water if you know??
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #18 
rmarkham

I kanaplex can be hard on the kidneys.. even with no outward sign of infection I should treat?

I'd say my water is pretty hard... I have geckos, and when I mist them and the water dries it leaves some nasty water spots...

And we've had to use CLR on my shower head more than once in the past year to get water pressure back......

What does hard water do for fish?
Old 04-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #19 
DoctorWhoLuver

Just as a side; epsom salt won't hurt snails as it is not NaCL it's actually magnesium sulfate. Which won't hurt plants or snails. :)
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #20 
Sakura8

Kanaplex is the best medication you can use to treat dropsy symptoms because it is absorbed into the system, whereas most of the antibiotics aren't and are good only for topical infections.

Dropsy symptoms can be caused by many different conditions although the prevailing cause is often a kidney infection. But it can also be caused by a heavy load of internal parasites or in some cases without bloating even external parasites raising the scales.

In this case, I definitely agree with Olympia. Kanaplex isn't as hard on the kidneys as minocycline (AKA Maracyn Two) and in general is safe to use for dropsy symptoms. Use both in the water with the epsom salt and make a paste to coat his food with as well. Since he is pooing, he is not constipated so it's safe to feed him and in fact, the more he eats the better. In cases of bacterial infections, once they stop eating, it's all over.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote