Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #1 
HeyBluejay

Smile My Apple snail's new polish coat

I thought I would share my little snail's new paint job with you guys. When I took him home from the pet store, his shell was badly eroded. (this was a few weeks ago) It has grown quite a bit since then, nice and healthy of course which made the not-so-healthy portion a bit more noticeable. After a bit of research, I discovered that you can protect these weaker areas with nail polish! Since I love nail polish, I figured I should give it a go. So here's my sweet little canvas! Her name is Zoombini, by the way

I'll post some clearer images once she gets put back into her tank ;)

Last edited by HeyBluejay; 04-06-2013 at 02:03 PM.
HeyBluejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #2 
shellieca

Looks pretty but not something I would do. I'd be concerned about what happens when it starts chipping off & I prefer the natural look of my creatures.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #3 
HeyBluejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Looks pretty but not something I would do. I'd be concerned about what happens when it starts chipping off & I prefer the natural look of my creatures.

Yeah, apparently it will last quite some time, but will need touch ups later down the road. I was just worried the erosion would worsen, and I didn't have a color to match her. I suppose it adds a little to her personality at the least.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #4 
shellieca

Are you providing a source of calcium? I have a blue one who had some pretty major shell damage because she got out of the big tank & my Chihuahua though "OH LOOK A NEW TOY!" I added liquid calcium to her new tank & her shell in just a couple of weeks is almost completely regrown, you can barely see where the huge chips were.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #5 
HeyBluejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Are you providing a source of calcium? I have a blue one who had some pretty major shell damage because she got out of the big tank & my Chihuahua though "OH LOOK A NEW TOY!" I added liquid calcium to her new tank & her shell in just a couple of weeks is almost completely regrown, you can barely see where the huge chips were.
Of course ^^ this was the damage that had already been done at the petstore, her shell has been growing nice and strong since i've had her. I just wanted to protect the old parts from any extra accidental damage ;)

I'm glad your snail is recovering though! It's always scary when that type of thing happens.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #6 
shellieca

just checking some people don't know they need calcium. Sounds like she's in good hands.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #7 
Artemis

My Cheeto (Spotted Tiger Nerite) would like this I think but I like how spotty he is.

Nice work on the snail art! AHHAHAHA. Get it nail art snail art. I kill myself. :P

Lemme see..... Swirled pinks and reds and whites and used a dotting tool for the flowers, simple blue background but what did you use for the branches.... striper or nail art pen or toothpick?
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #8 
HeyBluejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
My Cheeto (Spotted Tiger Nerite) would like this I think but I like how spotty he is.

Nice work on the snail art! AHHAHAHA. Get it nail art snail art. I kill myself. :P

Lemme see..... Swirled pinks and reds and whites and used a dotting tool for the flowers, simple blue background but what did you use for the branches.... striper or nail art pen or toothpick?
I used a striper ;) looking back I wish I had made them a little more wavy-looking.. Oh well! xD
Old 04-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #9 
Laki

I think it looks so pretty! You're a good micro-artist!

Not something I would do bc I too prefer natural but I think you did a wondrful job!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #10 
Jexx

OMG LOVE IT!!!! I would totally do something like that ^.^ its AWESOME
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote