Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Naming the New Silver Betta! Which one do you like?
Mercury 8 61.54%
Steele 2 15.38%
Platinum 2 15.38%
Quicksilver 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #1 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Smile Hello Everybody!

Hi there, I'm lilnaugrim and new to this forum although I've done my fair share of lurking! I've been fish keeping for about a year and a half now on my own, we always had fish growing up but eventually when they kept dying we had to take the tank down. But I've got 4 planted tanks and one quarantine set up at the moment.

I live in Rhode Island, if anyone else is out there hiya! And currently a student at University of Rhode Island studying art.

So as my first "question" to this forum, wasn't sure where else to post this either, but my last two pictures are the most recent betta I've purchased. He was unmarked but still got him for a very decent price. I was thinking he's a metallic butterfly plakat but I've got no idea and can't find any other pictures to even remotely matching him up! So if anyone has any idea's it would be greatly appreciated!

Say hello to the family:
Rembrandt (Remmy) a HM Mustard Gas
Ditto a Double Tail Mustard Gas
Mystique a Female Veiltail exhibiting a bit of a spade tail trait
Piebald (not his actual name yet, still thinking) he's in the quarantine at the moment healing his fins and some fungus that had been over his eye but that's gone now, just working on the fins.
And the last two pictures are of the new guy.
Attached Images

lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #2 
jesssan2442

he looks like a young halfmoon.... all of your bettas are stunning!!!!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thank you very much! I apparently have a knack for picking nice ones :) at least that's what my friends have told me.
The only qualm I have about him being a young halfmoon is that he's already bigger than my other three bettas, body wise that is. This is what lead me thinking of him as a plakat since they usually have bigger bodies, but his fins are bigger than any other plakat I've seen. Which then this all led to my confusion. And even when he's flared his caudal goes into the 180 degrees as a HM but if he were HM his fins wouldn't have those edges and I know they haven't been bitten or anything like that, so I was thinking he could be a feathertail since he's too much for an HM and as far as I can tell Rosetail doesn't have spikes like he does.
Anyway thanks for the quick reply!
Old 04-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #4 
GoodMorning

he is a halfmoon, a very big and fat one, lol. whoever bred him, fed him too much, lol.

i voted mercury, but quicksilver is also a nice name.
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Darn, I forgot to add a name to that list! The first one I had come up with was Silvern which I'm kind of leaning towards at the moment. So what about his coloration?
Old 04-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #6 
justmel

I'm still earning myself, but from what I've read on here he looks like a HMFT to me. Is that even possible though? Either way he is beautiful. At first I was going to say Quicksilver for the name, but after seeing the pics I think Mercury is the best choice.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well as far as I'm away feathertail is what happened when they overbred an HM to get the rosetail and then bred that with a crowntail which gave it the "spikey" appearance and if you look close enough it looks like little feathers. He just doesn't have all the little details, I'm not sure he's actually done growing yet since his ventrals are still pretty short but he's definitely a male.