Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #1 
shakeitsalome

Talking I Got Two Boys!!!!

I also have a question, at the end.

As planned, the kids and I went to Petsmart today. My mom and aunt decided to tag along because we're all country folk who rarely ever get to the big city.

First of all, their bettas were in excellent condition. After reading so many horror stories on here about sick/dying/dead bettas in the big chains I was worried, but they were great! I checked every one that was on display. Meant to take a picture of their display - it was a staggered rack with cups - but I had three kids and my mother and aunt keeping me from doing so. All the bettas were active, no signs of fin rot, torn fins, lethargy, anything. The water was clear, and every time I picked up a cup I was rewarded with flares and wriggling. Kudos to all the informative people on here who have taught me what to look for!! I got more than a few curious looks by other customers because I had all the cups down and lined up on a shelf checking all the boys out, haha. And I made a point of complimenting the young man in the department on how clean everything was. Even the large tanks of "feeder fish" were immaculate.

Side note - my son, who originally wanted a betta, instead got a small fantail goldfish. My oldest daughter, who also wanted a betta, couldn't find one that spoke to her, so we're going to go back next week and see if they have one for her. The baby got distracted by an extremely loving dog and didn't ask for anything. (If any of you have a 2 year old you know what a blessing that can be!)

Now, onto my boys. The first was marked as a HM and I'm pretty sure he is. As soon as I saw him I fell in love. He's white, with a tinge of irridescent blue on the tips of his fins. In the store he kept an eye on me whenever I moved and even followed my finger along the cup. He's currently floating in his 5 gallon tank getting acclimated.

The second boy was a pink-ish VT that gave such a brilliant flare I was impressed. I kept going back to him, hemming and hawing, and finally grabbed him up. My oldest daughter held his cup on the way home and kept oohing over his colors so I have a feeling he'll be hers before the weekend is over. But he's so pretty! He's going to be staying in his cup overnight - I've already given him new water and will be moved into a 1 gallon first thing in the morning until I can get a larger tank for him or make a divider for the 5 gallon I have already set up.

I'm overflowing with excitement and love for them right now as you can tell. I will be sure and take pictures tomorrow when the light's better and they're settled.

My question: I'm planning on leaving the second boy (in his cup) beside the 5 gallon. Will the be okay? Or would my second idea - just letting his cup float in the 5 gallon - be better? I don't want to stress either of them out. However the room will be totally dark and I'll be transferring the one in the cup first thing in the morning, and there are a bunch of (silk) plants in the 5 gallon. ...Thoughts??

Oh my word, I wrote a novel. A dozen virtual cookies to those who read all of this!!
shakeitsalome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

He will be fine in his cup for a night. Sound like you found a nice store and some nice fish! Btw that goldfish will need at least a 20g tank.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #3 
shakeitsalome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
He will be fine in his cup for a night. Sound like you found a nice store and some nice fish! Btw that goldfish will need at least a 20g tank.
Thanks! And yeah, I learned that tonight. My mom still has the old 20 (or 29, we can't remember) stowed away with its hood and light. Going to be setting that up tomorrow. :)
Old 04-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #4 
VJM

He is fine in the cup, but I would float it just so he can get some warmth. Make sure he can't jump out! They are amazingly beautiful and wonderful little personalities.

We need pictures once you have them all settled!
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #5 
shakeitsalome

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
He is fine in the cup, but I would float it just so he can get some warmth. Make sure he can't jump out! They are amazingly beautiful and wonderful little personalities.

We need pictures once you have them all settled!
Pinkie (my daughter's name for him) is floating in the 5 gal while the heater does its work on the 1 gal. The other boy is completely uninterested in him. Too busy exploring his home, I think.

I have my camera all ready to go one everyone's in their place!
Old 04-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #6 
VJM

Yay!!! Just keep an eye on them to make sure they aren't stressing each other out. You can always put Pinkie in an opaque container if they start up with each other, like a Solo cup. Sounds like you know just what to do!
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #7 
shakeitsalome

Both boys have settled in! Pinkie is now officially my daughter's, as expected. Both have nibbled a pellet each and seem more interested in exploring than anything else.

No one told me how hard it would be to take quick but good photos of bettas!

Pinkie - he doesn't sit still long enough for me to get a good photo and when he does it's behind his heater.

My boy (still unnamed!) - he likes to hide behind one of his plants or in his cave. I did get a good(ish) pic of him when he was up at the top, though!

Note to self: clean the outside of the tank. O_O

Leaning towards Albus for my boy. Mainly because I'm rereading the Harry Potter series, but also because it's Latin for white. I'm still not fully decided, though.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #8 
Luimeril

oh gosh. Pinkie's beautiful! *o*
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #9 
RowdyBetta

They're lovely! Pinkie looks almost like my firs betta! ^-^
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote