Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #1 
Nibblez

Absolutely clueless

Hi there, i'm still fairly new to aquariums and bettas. Most of what i have setup is just from bits of information gathered from pet store, aquarium shop and a bit of online research. I've read up on the threads about live plants and nitrogen cycles but i still dont quite understand it very well.

I currently have a ~1.5 gal tank setup with a live plant that's rooted to a piece of driftwood in my tank, i do a water change once a week and scrub the leaves when i do that. I've had this for about a month of so now, Nibblez and Tenshin are both happy with it.

The question is, there are talks about shrimp and snails in the tanks, various plants with different effects, ammonia, fresh water test kits, and i have no idea how any of these fit in? Sorry, just a complete newbie, might seem fine to me but maybe i'm doing something wrong.

I'm planning to get a tank of similar size to place Nibblez in but figured i should understand the tank eco system first before i work on a second one.
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:56 AM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum There is no filter media in that tank - correct? If not, you're probably not going to be able to cycle the tank.

You should be testing the water for ammonia and doing water changes based on your readings. Ammonia should be zero at all times and a live plant will help with that somewhat. It might be good to try to stuff a few more in there if you have room.

Personally, I'd skip the shrimp and snails unless you're going to do more frequent water changes. Even then, some bettas will feast on shrimp and others will ignore them completely.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #3 
Nibblez

pffft, sry failed at the conversion. Its a 14 litre, so thats 3.7 gals not 1.5, my bad. -_-

Theres a filtration system at the back, i think its a carbon filter (black one) and a white filter (not sure what it is) as well as a sponge, then through my 10 watt heater and a small pump.

Thinking of a 5 gal tank next, looks like enough space on my bed side table
Old 04-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #4 
BriGuy

All I know is that you have a beautiful betta! What kind is he?
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #5 
isochronism

Nibblez, you are doing very good! A 5 gal would be an excellent addition. More live plants :)
The various threads have all the information you will need. Keep asking questions when in doubt. Very pretty fish, btw.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #6 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Oh that size is much better :) That tank should cycle no problem and you can def. fit some more bunches of plants in there. Get some low light plants and a good fertilizer like Seachem Flourish Comprehensive.

But if there is charcoal in your filter media, you should probably remove it. You really only need it to remove trace meds. left in the water after treating a sick fish.

If it's one of those filters that have the charcoal sandwiched inside a frame in between white floss, you can cut it and take the charcoal out.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #7 
Nibblez

Thanks, hes gorgeous and i got him a couple of days ago. Name is Tenshi, I think hes a platinum delta. From what i've seen around the forums, lots of talk about floating plants or heavily planted tanks, would that be better for the betta?

Also are the betta hammocks worth getting as well? I've stated to realise that Tenshi like to stick to where the fitration system takes its inflow of water and relax there.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #8 
PeetaTheBetta

Betta leaf hammocks ROCK! My betta loves his and sleeps there all the time. it is also where I feed him, so around his feeding times he is at the leaf. I think you should totally get one.
PeetaTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #9 
PeetaTheBetta

btw you have a VERY handsome betta!
PeetaTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote