Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #301 
Nicci Lu

About using soil from your yard...

The soil where I live is heavy red clay that floods easily. Would this be okay to use, or would I have to mix it with something to be viable? I know for gardening outside I have to doctor it...
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #302 
PeetaTheBetta

Great post OFL! I will use this as I start my NPT.
PeetaTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #303 
KenD

Is it bad to change the filter and do a water change at the same time or does most of the beneficial bacteria stay in the soil?
KenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #304 
FishyFishy89

I am very close to considering digging out my sand, putting in potting soil and putting some of the previous sand ontop of it. Maybe I'm just impatient, but it almost appears that my plants are having a hard time. My hornwort seems to be slowly disappearing, my cabomba leaves aren't regrowing/only 1 stem is growing, but it's not producing more leaves..., my corckscrew val seems to be doing okay, but I've just planted them and my ruffled sword seems to be thriving. The java moss I got just last weekend. So far I'm not seeing any signs of it dying on me.

The only thing that seems to be thriving is the ruffled sword and salivina. Maybe a month? ago I added in 2 flourish tablets. The sword got a whole tablet and I spilt 1 in 3s for the cabomba. I also add liquid fert maybe once a week.

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 04-11-2013 at 04:54 PM.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #305 
DanielaMarie

Forgive my inexperience when it comes to soil, either in or out of a tank, but won't the soil stay grounded once it's been watered down and settled in the tank as sand would do, making the cap unnecessary?
DanielaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #306 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It might but it would kick up at the littlest thing and not settle easily. I don't doubt ofl lol.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #307 
Stone

I had a NPT going with soil and sand, I have a pleco that is about 7 inches long and he loves to dig, he dug through the sand cap and got into the soil.......it was a total mess, something I will not repeat I use a gravel cap now and use craft cloth and a thin thin layer of sand right on top of the soil to keep diggers at bay, so I would really consider what you are going to put in a tank before deciding on a cap if its a betta tank and you get a layer of really course sand it's fine, non betta tank think about what kinds of fish and what they do
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #308 
carbonxxkidd

I had to uproot some of my wisteria in my NPT yesterday which resulted in some of my soil seeping through...any tips on how to replace the sand cap around plants? Or would I be better off just leaving it alone? It's not real noticeable, in the back of the tank...
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #309 
Sagat

From what I've read, beneficial bacteria will eventually glue your soil together, just like it does in the wild. That doesn't mean it'll never cloud up, but it shouldn't get as cloudy as it does when you first set your tank up. carbonxxkidd: If I understand your question right... Whenever I want to replace the cap, I just pour more sand in the tank or move some from another area into the hole I want filled
Sagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #310 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You guys can try it if you want but the sand cap looks nice, works, and I see no reason to fix what's not broken. Ofl is pretty much an expert in this field, so I trust that this is the best way.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote