Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #11 
jstn

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3n3gade View Post
Well i havent turned it over so i will sat. But since i got all ur attention...how do i change my filter in my power filter if i have to change it seperate from water changes...that would mean id have to push back my water change?

Its acutally really bad for your cycle to changevyour filter out. I dont think you are to change it at all ever. the ppl selking replaxements are the people who tell you to change em
jstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #12 
SpookyTooth

Some filters have carbon cartridges that need to be replaced, I honestly don't like carbon for anything other than removing old medications, so I see carbon cartridges as useless for a betta's permanent home.

As jstn correctly said, the media in your filter should never be replaced, that is where all the beneficial bacteria established during your aquarium's cycle lives. You should also never rinse the filter media in tap water, but instead if you so wish you can take it out, give it a swish around in old aquarium water once every few months and put it back. This'll get rid of the larger debris whilst keeping your cycle in tact.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #13 
R3n3gade

[quote=jstn;1663321]Its acutally really bad for your cycle to changevyour filter out. I dont think you are to change it at all ever. the ppl selking replaxements are the people who tell you to change em[/QUOTE
Well im confused because its got one pad thing inside i dnt understand the carbon thing... but i would assume that little pad will get rlly dirty eventually or fall apart or something...i dnt see how i could just leave it in there forever...but pls explain more cuz i wanna make sure...i just did my water change and didnt change any filter stuff and ive had him a month by next sat..im just rlly confused over all of this
R3n3gade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #14 
mushumouse

they do get dirty, but still like spokytooth says, you're just supposed to take it out every so often & swish it around in a bucket of tank water. NOT straight tap water, it has to be water that you've used your water contitioner in. that washes out some of the debris that get stuck in it and you put it back in, it's fine that it looks dirty as long as water can still pass through it.

carbon is the crunchy black rock stuff that some filter pouches have in side of them. for me, i cut mine open and just rinsed the carbon out in a bucket and kept using it because i'm cheap.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #15 
R3n3gade

[quote=mushumouse;1667329]they do get dirty, but still like spokytooth says, you're just supposed to take it out every so often & swish it around in a bucket of tank water. NOT straight tap water, it has to be water that you've used your water contitioner in. that washes out some of the debris that get stuck in it and you put it back in, it's fine that it looks dirty as long as water can still pass through it.

carbon is the crunchy black rock stuff that some filter pouches have in side of them. for me, i cut mine open and just rinsed the carbon out in a bucket and kept using it because i'm cheap. [/QUO

Ok well i dnt see any black rocks just got the filter and the water goes through and out the yop...theres a pad that slips in and thats all and thats the part i was wondering about...do i still just leave that and for how long? Whats a sign that its bad? The water is still flowing and i did my water change today and swished it in the old water...anymore info about this for sure would be great because my betta is very happy so far his first month and im also very happy too lol
R3n3gade is offline   Reply With Quote