Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #1 
justamom2013

Betta not acting normal after water change

I think my husband just killed our betta without knowing.

I set out some water last night with conditioner as always and asked him to change the fish water this morning. I came out to the kitchen and found Nemo swimming erratically, attempting to jump out of the water, sinking to bottom and then quickly jumping to the top.

I asked my husband what he did, as this never happens and I do 75% water changes with no problems in the past. He said the water felt too cold so he added some warm water.

What do I do? It's been about 20 minutes and he's seeming to calm down a little bit. He's approximately 3 years old, and my 5 year old daughter is crying that her Nemo is dead.

I did add a little cool water (not cold, but from a bottle of room temp water). He has seemed to settle down a bit.

Note to self: Do not ever let husband change water again
justamom2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #2 
registereduser

Do you have a thermometer?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #3 
Stone

I would add some conditioner to the water just in case the water hubby added did not have any
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #4 
MoonShadow

Check the water temperature if you can. I lost a betta once when my mom (trying to be helpful) topped off the water in his tank but the water she added was way too hott. It shocked him bad and he was dead in a day.

What size tank is he in? Is it heated? Do you know what temperature the water usually is? If you can get to a pet store pick up a thermometor (if you don't already have one) and some stress coat. Add the stress coat as per the instructions on the bottle. And make sure his water is between 76 and 82 degrees.

The warm water was probably a big shock to his system, so treat him and then turn his light off if he has one, and give him time to settle down
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote