Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2013, 03:50 AM   #1 
IloveMyBettas

Exclamation Just got a heater! Need answers ASAP

Hello, I just got a heater for my betta, we just came back from the states it's 1:41AM here, so I hope at least someone is awake so the heater I bought is a;

"Tetra Submerisble Heater"
- No adjusting necessary
- Easy to hide
- 2-year warranty
For 2 - 15 gallon aquariums

The back says; "Eletronic thermostat automatically maintains water tempature at 78+2F
No adjustments are necessary. The thermostat also pervents overheating, extending heater life. Strong borosilicate glass is heat and shock resistant, indicator light lets you know when the water is being heated (red light) silicon carbide crystals imrpove heat distribution & transfer.

The "Instructions" tell me to give it 24 hours before placing the fish, but I had my betta in the tank for months now, I don't want to remove him espiceally at this time is this heater trustable? If I leave it on while I am sleeping will it heat the water and keep it safe for my betta without overheating..etc? Or anything ;l

It says it heats to 76F to 80F

In the tips it tells me to use an aquarium hood or cover and keep it close to prevent excessive heat loss, should I leave my hood on? Or should I leave it once just to make sure?

And I just plugged in my heater and put it to the side (not horozontially)

So do you guys thing it's safe? I just don't want to wake up in the morning and see my baby dead ;( because of a heater! Thanks I will be picking up a thermonter whenever I can.
IloveMyBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #2 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I actually just bought an heater today and was speaking to the owner today, so I can at the very least relay what he told me. I'm in no possible way an expert.
Waiting periods are usually to help a new heater settle in and to allow you to spot malfunctions without risking your fish's safety. Perhaps you could put the heater and a thermometer in a bucket overnight and keep an eye on that to see if the temp fluctuates?
I put mine straight in but then again my fish lives in my room and I can see his thermometer at a glance without leaving my desk.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #3 
Polkadot

Putting it in a bucket overnight to test it is a good idea.It should be ok though,it sounds like you are doing it right.I know with my heaters (different brand) it said to put them in but don't turn them on for 30 mins,just to give them time to get used to the water,which I think is pretty standard with heaters.It sounds like your heater won't let the temp get over the set amount (78) so your little fish should be fine.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #4 
Jexx

I had that heater in a 3.5 gallon. It never heated the tank above 78. I think you'll be fine but just keep an eye on it.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #5 
IloveMyBettas

Okay thanks guys! It's a tetra product as well, they never let me down so I have some trust with it ^^
IloveMyBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #6 
justmel

I have 2 heaters like that & while I have never had any problem with them I have heard of them malfunctioning. I would at least wait till you can watch it a little to make sure the heater works properly and doesn't end up cooking your fish.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #7 
bniebetta

Here is my best advice: Take it back and get a different one. That heater could not even keep mine at 76, which is too cold for a betta.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #8 
Jeri

Test the heater in another container before putting it in with your betta. I bought one (don't remember the brand now) and it cooked my beautiful black CT! Now, I don't use heaters anymore as my tanks all stay at 80, but if I ever need to, I'll be sure to test it first. Malfunctions do happen and it's heartbreaking!
Jeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #9 
kyle89

I have read nothing but bad reviews on the tetra heaters. I would consider returning it and getting an adjustable one
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #10 
bniebetta

Try this one. I got it a few weeks ago for all of my tanks and I really like them they are reliable and I don't have to worry. http://www.petmountain.com/product/a...le-heater.html
It's adjustable, fully submersable, shatterproof and shockproof. small size.
You're welcome :).
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, is this safe, need asap answers, ok?