Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #1 
Nix

Unhappy Eridan needs to get better!

So my beloved Eridan has been sick for a week now. He wasn't eating and I noticed some fin rot while doing a water change last week and started using 1tsp of aq. salt per gallon and 1 tsp of stress coat per gallon to help with that, but then put him in a 1 gallon hospital tank with a mini heater when I noticed white fuzzy patches on him and clamped fins. Since then he has been getting daily 100% water changes, and triple sulfa to get rid of the infection.

Today I was so happy to see that while he still has some fin rot he no longer had the white fuzzies and he was much more active no longer clamping his fins.

When I changed the water today I just did the aq. salt and stress coat, no triple sulfa.

But now he seems to be floating and having trouble going down lower when he wants to and has to wedge himself under his heater or in his barrels to stay down. He seems bloated which is odd because he really hasn't been eating (he tried to today but spit out all but one pellet) and he seems to have a lump toward his tail. I just want to make him better and happy! Please help!

Please forgive the bubbles as I had just changed his water, and the picture quality because its from my phone. I don't have a better camera than the one on my phone sadly.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #2 
AkaRyu

It sounds like he has some swim bladder issues. You should fill this out as well so others can help you more. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

But for the swim bladder, you should add some epsom salt to the water, 1teaspoon per gallon. Make sure its 100% natural epsom salt, not the fancy colored/scented kind you use for a bath. Also be sure to pre mix it in a cup with the tank water, not add the crystals directly into the tank. When you add the epsom salt mix to the water, add it a little bit at a time over the course of an hour. If you add it all at once it could shock him, and we don't want that!

My own betta had bloat just like that, if he wasn't floating at the top corner of the tank, he would wedge himself under the heater and float on his side. I added the epsom salts like i described above and he was all better in the morning :) I skipped feeding him that day, and only gave him a pellet the day after so he won't bloat up again. What brand of food do you feed him? It could be the food itself causing the bloat.

Last edited by AkaRyu; 04-07-2013 at 04:44 PM. Reason: typo
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #3 
Nix

I fed him aqueon betta food pellets. He only ate one though.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #4 
Twixies

Try to get him better quality food, Aqueon pellets have a lot of fillers. Try Omega One or New Life Spectrum
Twixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #5 
Nix

ok! Thank you both for the suggestions!