Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #17101 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
AAAARRRGGGGHHH!
I'm being given the same STUPID advice!!!!!!
I'm 52; I had a thriving career in Marketing Communications b/f I stopped working to raise my son. Since it's tough to start a career again @ my age, my (now-ex!) boyfriend told me: "get some training in assisting a surgeon w/ instruments b/c my friend did that"- I lost it on him- I was furious that he didn't know me well enough to suggest that option!!!!!!!!!!!!! If EVER there was someone who should NOT go into medicine, it's me! I HATE doctors & their superior attitudes, plus, I'm not about to wear scrubs!!!!
I'm a creative person, and, oh boy, what is the one field that squelchs "out of the box" thinking like medicine
Thank you! I am a creative person too. I love to come up with my own ideas and creations. I can't do that in medicine. I can however do that in Business. And I do see the superior attitudes you are talking about in doctors (and a few nurses) I have dealt with. You are not God, you are not my daddy, you are not my husband so don't tell me what to do with my own health!

I guess people like us will continue to be freaks for choosing business oriented careers (I plan a focus on Logistics atm) This is not focused at the obvious on here. This forum has the few cool brainiacs on here that have awesome science goals that are not (human) medically associated. (you know who you are and how awesome you are)
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:07 AM   #17102 
Xaltd1

The nail in the coffin of my relationship w/ my boyfriend is when he suggested that I start a dog-walking business. Yup,@ age 52 in an area w/ brutal winters. I walked out on him. When I told my Mom what he said, she said "I saw a movie once where a lawyer became a dog-walker and was very happy." YES, Mom, that is a movie: MOVIE as in FICTION. The movie is "My Sister's Keeper" & it is as about as grounded in reality as the last Pixar film. WHY are people SUCH idiots????
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:15 AM   #17103 
Shirleythebetta

I don't understand why people insist others do things as a career that make them unhappy. A job normally is supposed to stink, a career is supposed to be a choice. That is why you go to school and choose to study what you choose to study. Very unlike high school where you have no choice. I have many reasons why I chose business, the number one reason being choice. I not only love business but I can have a career focused in administration, communications, management (corporate or otherwise), Accounting and finance, warehousing, factories... pretty much where I want. With nursing you have a couple of choices like nuclear medicine, surgery, radiology. By the way, I am also a germaphobe. Those three listings I just mentioned translate to one million ways to die in my eyes. I am so unsuited for medicine for many reasons.

I know only one girl that chose to get a degree in history as a document restorer that is my age. ALL of the rest are either nurses or in school for nursing. They will have a big wake up call one day when they are in the unemployment line because of government interference or working sixteen hour days seven days a week at a hospital.

I refuse to be a sheep and follow the herd. Baaaaaa!
Old 04-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #17104 
Xaltd1

PLUS it's sexist!!!
What if you were worried about your boyfriend/husband/male companion's abiltiy to make money? Would you- or ANYONE- suggest they become a nurse or medical "technician"?? I don't think so!!!!
Men are advised to get a Masters' or PhD in their field; not to start walking dogs or cleaning up barf.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:27 AM   #17105 
AkaRyu

Oh please... the whole women need to go into nursing and teaching crap is so overdone. Frankly, I am completely happy with my associates in graphic design, and I am very happy to be working on my bachelors in 3D animation! Now that's a field with very little female force!
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #17106 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
PLUS it's sexist!!!
What if you were worried about your boyfriend/husband/male companion's abiltiy to make money? Would you- or ANYONE- suggest they become a nurse or medical "technician"?? I don't think so!!!!
Men are advised to get a Masters' or PhD in their field; not to start walking dogs or cleaning up barf.
See that is true based on what I have seen. It is pretty sexist. My husband plans to go to school to be an electrician. Everyone responds and says, "thats great" I said I want to go to business school I got "why do that? be a nurse that's where the money is" The money is where the heart is. Nurses do not make as much as business people. In my state the average nurse makes between 14.00 to 20.00 an hour. The average accountant makes 30.00 and up.

I think that some people are still intimidated and afraid of women in the work force. Women are still largly viewed as caregivers and home makers. But I by no means will use my gender as an excuse not to follow my dreams.

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 04-08-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:32 AM   #17107 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaRyu View Post
Oh please... the whole women need to go into nursing and teaching crap is so overdone. Frankly, I am completely happy with my associates in graphic design, and I am very happy to be working on my bachelors in 3D animation! Now that's a field with very little female force!
3D animation! how cool. I love it. Congrats on the degree and pursuing your Bachelors. I can't wait to start mine. I wish my sister would have stuck with computers. She was doing something similar before she quit. It is overdone to stick women in those roles but I feel like I am stuck in the 1950's where I live. It's very country and old fashioned and believe it or not there are still many men here that believe women should be pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen. Thank God I married a husband who supports me.

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 04-08-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:40 AM   #17108 
AkaRyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
3D animation! how cool. I love it. Congrats on the degree and pursuing your Bachelors. I can't wait to start mine. I wish my sister would have stuck with computers. She was doing something similar before she quit. It is overdone to stick women in those roles but I feel like I am stuck in the 1950's where I live. It's very country and old fashioned and believe it or not there are still many men here that believe women should be pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen. Thank God I married a husband who supports me.
Thank you ^^ I understand how that area is, my family on both sides is from southern Indiana, and so many women end up being house wives. I thank my dad for leaving and joining the navy, me and my sister will probably never end up like my cousins!
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:44 AM   #17109 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaRyu View Post
Thank you ^^ I understand how that area is, my family on both sides is from southern Indiana, and so many women end up being house wives. I thank my dad for leaving and joining the navy, me and my sister will probably never end up like my cousins!
Oh yea, Indiana is very similar to Ohio. My own Grandfather who died about eight years ago went off on my Aunt for cleaning her horses stalls. He went a little nuts about it,

"You don't need to be out there doing that ----! You have a husband who should be doing that! You belong in the kitchen."

It was very upseting. I don't know how proud he would be of his two grand daughters me with a business degree and my cousin with an Anthropology degree. Or me who decided not to have kids...
He was however proud of me when I was modeling. Great message for women in the farmland states. Your job is to look pretty not think.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #17110 
ThePearlFish

My BF is all about trying to talk me out of a science degree when I am 2 classes away from having an associates in it. Of course, I have been at this associates for like 4 yrs. But he wants me to switch to Art History. Um, yea.. science to art. I might as well spend another 4 years now on a brand new 2nd associates....
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou