Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #1 
LeslieReilly04

Unhappy What are these things in my tank?

Hello. Just got a betta fish and 1 mystery snail. A 1.25 gallon bowl just noticed these (see pic attachment) on the pebbles in bottom of bowl.

I was warned that the snail could still breed if it was a female and was still carrying eggs and sperm even after separation from other snails but the photos I have seen of mystery snail eggs show them in a "clutch" and round. Not at all like what I am seeing.

The betta fish is a male (very colorful with long fins) I am pretty sure. But these really look like larvae of some kind. Hoping not a bug or something. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Obviously new to all of this.

Hoping the attachment of photo worked.
Attached Images

LeslieReilly04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #2 
waterdog

Looks like snail eggs. I would get them out if it were mine.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #3 
kevinbacon

Kind of looks like snail eggs to me.... but I'm not sure.

You can probably tell better than I can - do they look like these?
https://www.google.com/search?q=myst...w=1366&bih=643
kevinbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #4 
LeslieReilly04

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I saw those pics too. I don't think these are those types of eggs. The pics i found on the web that look most like them are house fly eggs. Also gross.

I don't want to over clean the tank - just set it up Saturday. No filtration as of yet. I read that it wasn't good to over clean the tank but I sure don't need an over run of snails, flies or whatever those things will turn out to be!
Old 04-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #5 
Otterfun

pond snail eggs?
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #6 
LeslieReilly04

I am totally going to. Do you think they'll wait for me til tomorrow? I have to bring some stuff with me as this tank is in my office.

Thanks so much for the advice!
Old 04-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #7 
LeslieReilly04

should I wait 'til they grow to make sure I get them all? Should I boil the glass beads before I put them back in the tank? My friend showed me a bunch of "slime trails" with tiny tiny little black specks. I am pretty darn sure my snail is laying away.

How many eggs can she carry?!
Old 04-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #8 
tekkguy

Those are not pond snail eggs either.

Do you have any live plants at all? Are the only inhabitants a mystery snail and a betta?
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #9 
waterdog

FYI.....in an unfiltered tank there is no such thing as 'over cleaning.' In a filtered tank you can break the cycle by changing too much water, but in an unfiltered tank more is always better!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #10 
LeslieReilly04

I have a single bamboo stalk (live) and a couple of umbrella plants that I have suspended from the top of the tank as I was told they are only semi aquatic. Only a single betta and the mystery snail. I am thinking that those little white eggs may have been on the glass beads themselves. they had been sitting in a bowl (dry) from the flowers I had gotten like a year ago. but on the windowsill behind my kitchen sink. I washed them off but I don't think well enough. I definitely didn't see them before or I wouldn't have put them in the tank.

Great info about cleaning the unfiltered tank. Tomorrow I will clean out the tank and I think I will take the glass pebbles home and boil them to make sure I kill any other "anythings" that may be hiding on them.

The plants looked pretty healthy when I got them. But safe than sorry. I didn't get these animals to hurt them that's for sure.

Tags
betta, eggs, larvae