Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #881 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeples View Post
I have read that verticals can be a sign of aggression, in addition to breeding. My big girl got vertical when she saw my baby betta that was clearly immature... unless she's a cougar!
LOL! Perhaps it is a sign of aggression as well but I thought they would flare a lot if they are being aggressive.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #882 
justmel

Here's my two babies. I've had them a few weeks now. I think they are both female VT's, but I'm not sure.
Attached Images

justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #883 
bannlow2471

So Friday marked Day 14 of life with a baby Betta ... and it sure has been interesting. This little guy/girl seems to grow and change by the day, and I'm almost sure he's a boy - since he got a new neighbor (Suma, my female crowntail who I brought home last Wednesday - she is in an separate tank but they can see each other) he's been flaring a lot and I think I can see a little tiny beard.

Also, it is killing me to know what tail type he or she is and I don't know if it's just that he's (she's) too little or whether I am just too inexperienced, but I can't figure it out. I thought maybe delta tail, but now I'm thinking maybe halfmoon? I don't really care ... I just want to KNOW! Any ideas?
Attached Images

bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #884 
justmel

I don't know about the tail, but I think you have a beautiful baby on your hands
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #885 
bannlow2471

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmel View Post
I don't know about the tail, but I think you have a beautiful baby on your hands
Aww, thanks. I think so, too!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #886 
bannlow2471

Ok, so I was getting really aggravated with these terrible iPhone pics because they were always so blurry, so last night I got out my Canon and took a few shots. Here are two that really show his/her tail and I'm hoping one of the experts here can tell me what tail type I've got here.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #887 
Xeek

looks like a veil tail to me with some very unique coloration. The end of the tail will likely close up more when it gets older. My baby looked almost like a crown tail until she got older.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #888 
bannlow2471

Thanks, Xeek! A veil tail? Really? That is the one tail type that I wouldn't have guessed! I guess maybe because I've only seen adults? That would be just fine with me, since my first Betta is a veiltail and I think he is stunning! This baby's coloring is a bit unique, I think - in that he sort of changes colors depending upon the light. The picture I posted last night was taken four days ago with my iPhone 4s and in that picture he looked mostly reddish, which isn't the case. When viewed with the aquarium light on he has lots of other colors - green, turquoise, etc. as well as the red. I think some of what you're seeing in the picture here as far as colors is due to the flash, but not all. It's certainly fun watching him grow up and change - which he does on a daily basis it seems like. Anyway, thanks for your input!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #889 
Xeek

I think a crown tail would have much more obvious crowns, this one does not. The small curves in the tail could make you think it is, but those will smooth out when it gets older.

I'm not sure I would call this one a baby? Looks like it's getting up to it's young adult size actually. My baby was smaller with big baby eyes, this one has more proportional eyes like an adult.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #890 
bannlow2471

Hi, Xeek. I think maybe these photos are making him look bigger than he is. IRL he is maybe an inch long now nose to tail. I've had him about two and a half weeks (Friday was 14 days) and this is how he looked on Day 1:

SO I don't really know - but based on the little research I have done I was estimating him at about two months old or so. What do you think?
Attached Images

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta