Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #1 
Paigeyy

Question Sorority in a 20gal

I've heard many people on this site say that a minimum of 10gal is needed to keep a sorority, i was wondering if it would work in a tank with the dimensions of 60cm long, 30cm deep and 40cm tall (or 23.62 x 12.2 x 16.14 inches) roughly. Since it's double the minimum volume it sounds like it would be good. In my opinion it would be a fairly tall tank, but not very long. Would this be large enough for roughly 6 female bettas to live together in harmony? I don't know if a shorter tank is better since they would be more spred out or if it doesn't matter as long as the overall area is large enough?

I've always wanted to set up a sorority, but thought my tank wasn't suitable. Just curious if it would be possible?
Paigeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #2 
shellieca

Anything is possible. Bettas like longer rather than taller, it gives them more swimming room & they can get to the surface for air easier. Having said that I have a 46g bow front with 10 females. The problem with taller is getting plants/decor tall enough to fill the upper part of the tank to break line of sight. If you can add some floating plants that helps. I also mixed real & silk plants. Because the real plants weren't tall enough I added tall silk plants & took them out once my real plants had filled in some. Just have a back up plan in case you have problems with the females fighting too much.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #3 
Nothingness

I have 17 in a 55g planted tank
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

That 20 gallon would still be better than a 10. The surface area is slightly bigger than my ten gallon that I have 6 females in.

IMO, sororities are best kept with live plants and a cycled filter unless you have a TON of live plants in an NPT. Water quality is super important in a sorority. I think you could still do 8-10 females in that tank with tall plants and floating plants, though, an I love my sorority. I don't think you'd regret it as long as you set it up properly!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:15 AM   #5 
Paigeyy

I have a few live plants and floating moss balls (to fill up the higher parts of the tank and I'm putting in another piece of driftwood with miss attached to it and hopefully that is fairly tall as well :) I'm thinking of trying to get a banana Lilly to grow as well. Would they work in a pot because my tank just has pebbles at the bottom.

I'll have to wait though because while I'm living at home I'm only allowed the one tank, so my male would have no home and I think my female might be a tad too territorial for a sorority
Old 04-08-2013, 03:11 AM   #6 
Stone

I have 14 in a 29 gallon tank, from what I have noticed by watching them is the surface area of the tank seems to be common space where they will hang out together and not be too aggressive towards one another, now the bottom of the tank caves pots ornaments and the like will be owned by a specific girl and some might be welcome to come there and hang out while others will be chased away
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #7 
Paigeyy

Okay, that makes sense, I'm thinking of making my tanks a NPT and I'll think about creating a sorority after it's been completed and I can get a good home for my male :)

Tags
20gal, sororities, sorority, sorority female community, tall tank