Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #1 
LucidSong

Question Side Swimmer?

So I have had bettas for about 4 months now so I'm still new. About a week and a half ago I added a second betta to my soon to be hoard. While waiting for my divider to come in I hady new betta in the 10 that was going to be divided and my older one in a 1 gallon bowl for fin tears due ro my lack of knowledge. Earlier today I put both fish in the newly divided tank while the older one is fine and feisty as ever flaring at his shadow like he does. The new one has now started to swim on his side for no reason. Could it be from the stress of having the oyher fish there?
LucidSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #2 
LucidSong

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/...ps662610de.jpg
Also what is this weird bump? He's always had it. Just curious as to what it is since my other male doesn't have this bump.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #3 
10asartin

Swimming on his side would suggest a swim bladder disorder and from the angle of the picture it appears as though the bulge is bloating which can also be a symptom of swim bladder problems.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

He does look bloated maybe not feed him for a couple of days and see if the bulge goes away.And yes this can cause he to have trouble swimming as well as stated above. Hope this helps it is doesnt come back with another picture and get the next treatment plan which would be putting some Epsom salt in his water.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #5 
10asartin

You can also consider providing him with a cooked and peeled frozen pea after fasting him for 1-2 days to help relieve the constipation. There is some debate over the whole pea feeding remedy, but there are many betta keepers that use this method to help their bettas. My double tail has a tendency to bloat and I always have great success fasting him for 1 day and then feeding some cooked pea.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #6 
LucidSong

Yeah. The older fish had a case of SBD I think. Swam crooked and crooked spine. Whrn I got the older fish he had a perfect split right up the middle of his tail I thought he was. A double tail to beguin with. But the newer one has been on the same feeding regimen as the older one who after a few days of no feeding is now a happy betta and hasn't had issues again. I'll with hold the new ones food and see what happens. Walmart Bettas have so many issues but its Walmart or Petland :/
THANK YOU BOTH