Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #1 
sap1987

White mucusy looking stuff on find. Fungus?

I noticed white clumps of stuff on my crown tails fins last week. I went to petsmart and got him medicine. The medicine said treat 1x per day for 7 days, then do a 25% water change. His energy hadn't changed at all, but when I got home from work today he was floating upside down in his tank at the bottom. Is he cured because the spots are gone? What should I do to follow up?

I'm new to this site, so hopefully I posted correctly.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? Not sure
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1x per day for main and 1x with dried bloodworms

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No more white spots
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last Thursday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Last Friday- PimaFix
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure.
Attached Images

sap1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Welcome. First he needs to be in water that is heated, they are tropical fish so the temp should be 78-80F so I suggest getting an adjustable heater. Because of the volume of water he is in he should have at a minimum 2 water changes per week, 1 @ 50%+ & 1 100%. I'm assuming from your description he had Ich? Glad its gone. The fuzzies are probably a fungus which can be caused by a number of things & bad water quality doesn't help & neither does the cold water. I would suggest doing a water change, adding a good water conditioner (Prime is most recommended) getting the water heated properly & you can add 1/2 tsp of aquarium salt that was pre dissolved then poured in. Hope this helps & keep is posted. Oh, DO NOT USE PEMAFIX or any other med with the word fix in it, it dangerous for a Betta.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #3 
sap1987

I have three bettas and none of them are in heated tanks, but I keep the apartment pretty warm and their water is pretty warm. How much are heaters? I imagine probably pretty expensive. I will start to do 2x water changes. I use water conditioner by top fin. I'm angry that the lady sold me that fungus stuff. She picked it up and told me to use that! I will start to change them all then 2x per week. Everyone else is healthy! What kind of heater/how much are they?
Old 04-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Unfortunately LFS employees &'the like a lot of times are not as knowledgable as they like to pretend. The good thing is you are doing what you should to give them good healthy lives. There are numerous heaters to choose from, the adjustable 25W Aqueon heater from Petsmart is probably around $20 or so. There are preset heaters such as the Hydor Betta bowl heater (which I use occasionally if I set a 1g) that keeps the temp fairly steady at 76F (bare minimum)-78F, its flat & sits on the bottom of the tank or bowl. I think they're $10 or less. There are other brands, I just named those to give you an idea. When you look at the preset heaters see if it says +\- ambient temp or it says a specific temp. I'd go with one that states a specific temp. You'll want an in tank thermometer to monitor the temp, those are $2-$3. Purchasing things online a lot of times is less expensive. The more frequent water changes will help tremendously..
Old 04-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #5 
sap1987

Thanks! Yeah I like online ordering cause most of the times it is cheaper. Do you have a specific site that you like to order fish stuff? And is the the top fin water conditioner okay? I just bought a whole thing of it, so hopefully! :)
Old 04-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #6 
Corsica

On a tip I read on this forum I ordered a 25 watt heater from Drs. Foster & Smith for some smaller tanks and so far it is working great! I went ahead and ordered two more and they are on sale.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...8&pcatid=11368

I bought the Top Fin Betta conditioner first, but you have to use so much of it (I have 6 Betta tanks) that I bought some Prime and API Stress Coat conditioners instead. They will go much farther than any of my Top Fin bottles.
Corsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

I price compare between amazon.com, drsfostersmith.com, petsolutions.com, petsmart.com, petco.com
I have found more often than not the 1st two I mentioned have the best prices, depending on what I'm purchasing.
I've never used Top Fin water conditioner, I would read the bottle to see if it does the same as Prime - detox ammonia, nitrites, nitrates & remove chlorine, chloramines & Heavy Metals & promotes slime coat. As corsica stated, with Prime you'll use much less, it's 2 drops of Prime per gallon of water. I would probably finish the bottle of Top Fin & then switch to Prime.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #8 
sap1987

White spots are back

This is super frustrating! The white clump on his fin is gone, but it's almost as if it just dispersed into a bunch of tiny white spots scattered throughout his fins. I'm still doing research as to what to buy. What should I do now? Since I stopped using the Pemafix.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #9 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

I would treat using Freshwater Maracyn Two and Epsom Salts. But that's just me. No real idea what this could be, but those two together seem to be old standbys for plenty of betta ailments.
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #10 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sap1987 View Post
This is super frustrating! The white clump on his fin is gone, but it's almost as if it just dispersed into a bunch of tiny white spots scattered throughout his fins. I'm still doing research as to what to buy. What should I do now? Since I stopped using the Pemafix.
Can you post a new pic? I'm wondering if he has ich. Does he look like he was sprinkled with sugar or salt?

Tags
disease, lethargic, white clumps