Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #1 
LouiMon

Talking Would an Amazon Sword be too big for my ten gallon?

I've been looking into the Amazon Swords because I saw some gorgeous ones at the pet store and I've checked the parameters, lighting and fertilization needs and I can support it no problem.

It's just, some people, say that it's a large plant and should really only go in 20G+ tanks.

Would I be able to keep it with a little trimming? I want a taller plant with large leaves and I'm not overly fond of Java Ferns.
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #2 
Xeek

I have major doubts. I don't think it would be a good choice. They can max out at nearly 2 feet tall. I don't see how you would trim it, you would have to slice off the tops of the leaves!

There are a lot of plants that look similar to swords and don't get as tall, might I recommend those?

Cryptocoryne is a good option. A lot of them that I have don't seem to get that tall.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #3 
fish keeper 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeek View Post
I have major doubts. I don't think it would be a good choice. They can max out at nearly 2 feet tall. I don't see how you would trim it, you would have to slice off the tops of the leaves!

There are a lot of plants that look similar to swords and don't get as tall, might I recommend those?

Cryptocoryne is a good option. A lot of them that I have don't seem to get that tall.
Dang it, I was hoping to get an amazon sword for a planned 5 gallon planted tank... Did not really realize that triming is not as easy for rooted plants as it is for stem plants. My thought process is that when I bought my java fern the petsmart person told me it would grow out and not up. Now I remember that petsore people are not always the most reliable.
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #4 
Fishybitty

I bought one for my 10gallon(not knowing it can get huge) if it gets too big I guess I'll have to move it to my 30gallon tall.

I just love the looks of them ^.^
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #5 
LouiMon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeek View Post

Hmm those look nice! I've heard they die very easily when transplanting them, though. Is that true?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #6 
Nicci Lu

I bought two for my ten gallon. Now that is too much. But I think one is fine for that size tank. The leaves tend to spread out and fold over so that they stay immersed in the water. As long as there's a lot of open space around them, because if not you'll constantly be disentangling the sword leaves from your other plants like me.

Swords are pretty hardy. I've never had a problem with them when transplanting. Just make sure to trim the roots when you replant because the long ones will get damaged and rot if you don't. EDIT: oops! You were referring to crypts.

Last edited by Nicci Lu; 04-10-2013 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Reading skills, or lack thereof.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #7 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouiMon View Post
Hmm those look nice! I've heard they die very easily when transplanting them, though. Is that true?
I've had much luck with crypto in my 16 gallon. Sagittaria I have had very poor luck with, and strangely I can't get java fern to live long either (they tend to be too tall for my 16 gallon anyway).
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #8 
Crowntails

Yes. Many people say you need at least a 55 gallon tank for an Amazon Sword. Look into Crypts, Dwarf Hairgrass, Java Fern, and Anubis Nana for your tank.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #9 
LouiMon

Thanks for the tips, everyone :3
Old 04-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #10 
shellieca

I have them in my 10g tanks & my 5.5g. I had one 10g tank with one & the sword was beautiful & almost to the top of the water but it took almost a year. The others in the the other 10g tanks have been much slower to grow. The ones in my 46g tank haven't grown all that much & its been almost a year now. So . . . I say go for it if you want to.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote