Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #331 
Artemis

This effects more blue bettas correct? It is possible that a gene that causes blue has morphed through constant breeding into a) causing the problem b) weakening the defense system and allowing the bacteria to get a hold.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #332 
nel3

can myco show itself like bumps near the eye? mines a blue/black vt with red wash. the bump has been there for 2-3 months, could've been longer if i noticed ti earlier.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #333 
Taeanna
Reference Team

It is possible.
An human parrallel condition springs to mind of sickle cell disease. It is prevalent in people of african origin characterized by their red blood cells turning into half moon shapes and getting jammed in the capillaries, sometimes causing blockages. HOWEVER those with sickle cell are far less likely to come down with the severe cases of malaria and likely saving their lives. Trading in one weakness for another.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #334 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeanna View Post
It is possible.
An human parrallel condition springs to mind of sickle cell disease. It is prevalent in people of african origin characterized by their red blood cells turning into half moon shapes and getting jammed in the capillaries, sometimes causing blockages. HOWEVER those with sickle cell are far less likely to come down with the severe cases of malaria and likely saving their lives. Trading in one weakness for another.
thank you for the reply, unfortunately the seriousness of Myco is concerning as i dont know the actual cause/sickness for his flopping atm.

ive just isolated him from his 5g divided (no epsom salt added atm), his other cellmates 1 nerite and a DeT on the other side seem fine. its only within the last 12hrs since hes "sulking" on the bottom only moving to flop to leave his good eye looking upwards.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #335 
zebra3

Question What actualy killed my fish?

Instead of making a separate thread about it I'll just make a quick post here.

My betta recently died. He suddenly had no energy to move and just laid down and towards the end was basically just an unmoving but breathing corpse. This took about two days. The odd thing is- I was taking good care of him. He had 3 gallons to himself, 2 meals a day, weekly 50% water changes (I don't like to do more than that, bettas don't have a heavy bio-load and too many changes actually shocks them in my experience.) and I always added dechlorinator to the water change. So I really don't know what got him. His under head area got greyish the second day.
Anyone have experience with that?

I want to get another one in a month after I re-aquascape (live plants, small tank, but I work it) but if there was something I missed let me know. I also will be adding cherry shrimp before I get a betta. I know he will eat the young ones, but if I get a few large one's started in there and he doesn't peck their eyes out I'll be quite happy.
zebra3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #336 
AyalaCookiejar

Sometimes they get sick with even the best care. I also agree with you on less water changes but clean water is more important. But in a three gallon, 2 weekly changes are recommended so I'd either up water changes or be 100% sure the tank (if it has a filter) and the live plants are keeping the ammonia and nitrites at 0 between water changes.

There's a lot of factors and I'd need exact details to tell you the things I believe MAY have been wrong, but a few of them are temperature (is his temp 78-80 AND stable?), food type (Omega One and NLS are good brands), and possibly age and genetics. I had a girl pass away from a temp fluctuation caused by a 1 hour power outage and came to the conclusion that her genetics must not have been as strong because none of my other 4 fish fell ill.

I hope this helps?
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #337 
zebra3

Temperature fluctuations are unfortunately a fact of life where I am. The room constantly changes. I sprung for a real nice heater, and it does the job. The temperature never drops below 76-77, though it sometimes got up to 82-83. I thought the highs wouldn't hurt him as much as the lows.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #338 
AyalaCookiejar

Sudden temperature fluctuations can easily cause them to get sick. If they are more gradual fluctuations, they aren't as bad.

I didn't used to think too much about fluctuations until that one hour power outage. My girl died three days after and the power was only out for an hour and I do believe the temp only dropped 2-3 degrees then warmed back up in about 2 hours. It was enough to make her sick - a few hours after she was acting a little "off" and by the next day, her scales were beginning to pinecone. The stronger their genetics and the better care they have, the less likely it is for them to get sick like that. However, all my fish had the same care and she was the only one of five who got sick so I assumed her genetics were not as strong.

If your temp fluctuates slowly, it won't be as big a deal.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #339 
zebra3

at night it does go down a couple degrees in the winter months. During summer, I have no idea what will happen.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #340 
BETTACHKALOVE

I think if it gradual temperature change like for example in the summer it should not stress them out. I have 8 bettas and of course in the summer time the temp fluctuate +-2-3 * from the morning to night and i never had problem with my bettas. Of course you don't want sudden big temperature change-it would be the problem. And if your 3 gall don't have filter you need to do more water changes then 50% a week. If it with out filter you better go with 2-50% and 1-100% water changes. If you acclimate betta properly he should not be stressed. And also don't be heard on yourself , unfortunately bettas get sick as much as we get sick no matter how right /good you care about them. You can have 2 betta in the same tank and one will live 4 years , another one in the same tank can get sick in a year. But definitely water changes is main factor that keep them healthy. Good luck with new betta. When you go to the store make sure you check betta for any symptoms of the sickness before you buy him.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote