Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #1 
Corsica

Bloat? Am I treating it correctly?

We have a little blue female that belongs to my mom. We bought her on 3-28-13 and she was fine for the first couple of days. Then she was fed a freeze dried bloodworm and started the oops I'm on my side thing. I fasted her and got some frozen dafnia, did water changes and she seemed to be ok. She was fed a top fin betta pellet and oops back on her side. At this point I changed food brands to Omega One. She has been off and on side swimming since.
On Tuesday, 4-2-13, I started doing water changes with Epson. And finally my mail ordered heater came on the 6th (Saturday). I had a dog show this past weekend so I wasn't home to keep a close eye on her. She seemed great on Sunday, actually swimming normally so I fed her a little Omega pellet since she hadn't eaten anything but some dafnia in case she was constipated. Well that evening, oops on her side again!! The entire time she has been very active when she can be. I have a feeling I am not fasting her long enough.
She is in about a 1.5 gallon hospital tank with silk plants right now, heated to 80 degrees. API stress coat water conditioner and I slowly worked her up to 3tp per gallon of Epson Salt (on Monday), daily water changes the entire time. I have video of her from Sunday when she went all wonky again. This yo-yo thing is driving me nuts. But she seems to be in fine spirits otherwise.
Video: http://youtu.be/ay3EeYG0fbY She hates the camera as you can tell. So I only shot for so long and then put her back in her heated tank. Feel bad for stressing her out but I needed the footage.

And a poop picture from today that I removed from her tank.

She had dafnia on Monday. So do I keep up with the Epson salt and fast for a longer amount of time? I'm writing it all down on the calender so I know when I did what and her condition. She is still doing some side stuff today but is active when I come over and can swim to the bottom without being immediately sucked back up to the top by the swim bladder.
I'm sorry for such a long post!
Corsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #2 
Melodica

Aww, poor little girl. :( That happened to one of my boys. I fasted him and after he pooped he was fine. He's somewhat smaller than my others, but I was feeding him the same amount. Now I just feed him less and haven't had anymore issues.

I do think your treatment is correct if it's constipation. Epsom salt and daphnia are good for that. Be careful not to feed too much daphnia though. It doesn't take much. Some might even suggest that you try to feed her a bit of the inside of a cooked green pea (frozen, not canned). You might also try some smaller pellets. New Life Spectrum Betta Formula pellets are tiny - significantly smaller than the Omega One.
As far as the number of days to fast... I would probably give a day or so after she begins swimming normally again.

I'm not sure if it could be something other than constipation since it seems to happen when you feed her, but keep an eye out for any other symptoms (pineconing, lethargy, etc).

I hope she gets better!
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #3 
jeremywadejunior

Hmmm I don't have much advice for you other than:

1) Make sure you're not feeding her too much. General rule of thumb is that a betta's stomach is about the same size as their eye, so don't feed her any more than that.

2) Many flakes expand in size after they are in the fish's stomach (due to increase in moisture). You can soak the pellets in a separate cup of water for a few minutes before feeding her, and this will make the pellets easier for her to digest.

Hope this helps! : )
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #4 
Corsica

She seems to be very sensitive to food. She is still on her side today. I'll be doing water change soon.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #5 
tekkguy

I had a fish years ago that was like this. Not sure if he had a smaller stomach or what, but anything he was fed seemed to blow him up. I started having to soak or crush pellets for him, and then he was fine. He just couldn't handle "normal" food.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #6 
Corsica

I switched brands after reading some threads on here and wanted a better quality than what I originally bought. So I guess when she is over this round of sbd issues I will crush up the pellet for her. Her poops are normal colored and she isn't trailing anything so I will take that as a good sign. She just can't seem to handle even a really small pellet!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #7 
Corsica

Her buoyancy issues seem worse today. No food for her since Sunday. Frustrating for her (and me). Should I make her water warmer? It is at 80 degrees. Been doing Epson salt water changes since April 2nd.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #8 
Melodica

Keep up with the salt. From what I understand, that is safe to use for long periods. I'm not sure if a raise in temp would help. I guess it couldn't hurt as long as you raise it slowly. If it persists, you might want to PM one of the more knowledgeable members like Callistra or Sakura8.
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #9 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Any pineconing at all?
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #10 
Corsica

No pineconing, thankfully. I am going to pick up some garlic juice when I get off from work today. Good to have on hand I guess. I haven't seen any white poop, but just in case.