Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2013, 12:46 AM   #1 
Bettafeathers

Swim bladder issues?

Hi all,

I have a double tail male that seems to be presenting with some swim bladder issues. I noticed him sitting at the bottom of his (heated to ~78) 10 gallon tank a few days ago and having troubles getting to the surface, so I put him in a small-ish Tupperware container floating in the tank. He isn't constipated - I missed a couple feedings before this and fasted him for a couple days after, he produced a couple of normal looking poos. The only other thing I noticed is that his body is pale and the iridescence on his body is a bit patchy. This may be because I haven't had lights on the tank, I had to take the hood off for the Tupperware container. His color is also kind of funny and patchy, orange, purple/blue and lighter colors - almost marbley, so the patchy color wasn't a huge concern when I saw him. We were battling fin rot just before this. I gave him a snack today and he gobbled it up and is quite perky!

So, I'm not sure how to approach this as he isn't bloated/constipated and doesn't seem to be presenting issues other than his struggle to swim to the surface. Any treatment suggestions?? Maybe no treatment at all other than a shallower tank? I do have smaller tanks I could put him in (switch out him with one of my 2.5 gal guys.)

I can fill out the questionnaire tomorrow if needed - I'm on my phone right now.

Thanks!!
Bettafeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

I think this is a common issue with double tail bettas due to their shortened body. can you bring up the heat more? try bringing it up to 82-86F slowly, see if that will help him.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #3 
Bettafeathers

Thanks for the advice, Aokashi!

I wanted to report that he seems to have righted himself. He's no longer belly surfing the tupperware container and is now swimming around like a happy little guy (albeit a little unimpressed about his little container at the moment)! I am so pleased :D
Bettafeathers is offline   Reply With Quote