Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #11 
stephenmontero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophat665 View Post
The only way to tell for sure is to cut it in half and count the rings.
I knew there was an easy way to find out
stephenmontero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wish it was that easy! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:32 PM   #13 
Kim

I've heard that 6-12 months is common for most pet stores. There's really no way to tell for sure though.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'd say 6 months to a year too. Some of the bettas I've seen at Petsmart are fairly small so I'd say they were fairly young.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:02 AM   #15 
my betta ares

Talking the old betta

i have old betta's and young betta's. and i can tell you that it is in the tail fins if the end of the fin is blue it is young and if the fin is like this picture it is old. P.S.the betta in the picture is my oid betta jack. Name:  DSCF1539.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  109.7 KB
my betta ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:31 AM   #16 
s72450

Jack looks like he's in a small place. What type of set up do you have? Or was this just for picture purposes?

I love that you named your fish Chuck Bass. I have two females that I named Serena and Blair.
s72450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #17 
megphimu22

thanks!!! i actually have a female named Blair and used to have a Serena but she died (RIP).... I love that show!! haha
megphimu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:16 AM   #18 
my betta ares

Talking photo day.!

that was hes photo day . he has now passed. the photo was old
my betta ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #19 
veganchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
Defiantley not true. Most bettas from any petstore are at least 1 year old already, and some have maybe been at the actual store for months.
oh.... I got a like 1/4 inch female from there, i guess the males are older tho....
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:55 AM   #20 
edBetta

Unhappy light white area between the eyes - do they get white with age?

Hi, here are the stats: Betta is a blue male and has developed a white area between his eyes. I tried lots to treatments which I will list after what you asked for. Had him over a year. Lived in just under a gallon jar with Jave Moss plant keeping water cleaned. 100 % water change about once a month, never did partial changes.
Cleaned glass with aquarium salt when changing water and used water conditioner to clear out chlorine and add slime to water also added recommended aquarium salt when filling back with water. Had no heater. Had him in sun area in day. He has had ick in the past so I know this is not that and I treated with Jungle and it cleared it. I never tested the water for chemical contents, but this never happened before and my water changing habits have not changed so I doubt it is chemical. He eats 5 pellets hikari in morning and 5 at night (as he grew i had to increase to this since he got so ferosious going after the food when I gave him less). Never had any over feeding problems. Never had other fish with him when this developed. When the white area became noticable was about 2 months ago, I tried treating him with Jungle anti fungal, but I double dosed him and his eating habits became poor, so I stopped the treatment even though the white area was still there. He got his appetite back a little and i decided to get him a companion, a single zebra danio. That did the trick, he got his whole appetite back now that he had competition. After a while the white spot is still there and I am worried is getting whiter, so I buy Eclipse system 3 gallon tank and a 25 watt marinland heater and thermometer, I set it to self regulate to 79 degrees. I see before doing this the water was around 71 degrees. I try the jungle again at right dose for 4 days, white area still there. I change out 2/3 water. then I get bettafix (all natural treatment) and try it a couple of days, still have white spot. I do a full tank water change to get it out. I leave him in clean water a day and get betta revive from hikai with that blue chemical in it. Have been trying that for a 3 days so far. White area still there just not as pronounced. His appetite is still good. He is not real active, but he never was either. The Zebra danio has been active like when I first got it, no changes in its health (have had it and the new tank 2-3 weeks?).
Could this just be old age and the fish scales have just turned white or is it likely fungus or bacteria? Thanks E.
edBetta is offline   Reply With Quote