Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #341 
AyalaCookiejar

General rule is that you don't want a temp change larger than 1 degree in an hour or 5 degrees in 24 hours.

However, I will say that constant temp changes can be detrimental still and may slowly decrease their immune systems but if you take very good care of them and they don't have bad genetics, they're less likely to get sick.

I would avoid temp variations as much as possible even if it doesn't seem to affect them and that may just be because I lost my favorite girl because of a temp swing. If it gets cooler at night I would maybe wrap the tank in a towel of some sort to try to make the temperature drop a little slower.

Keep in mind that the tank lights might also have something to do with temp drops at night.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #342 
zebra3

Aside from leaving the light on all night, is there anything else I can do to help with the fluctuation during winter? Perhaps if I kept the daytime temp closer to 77 than 80, it would help. Also, I have no idea what will happen during the summer months.
zebra3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #343 
AyalaCookiejar

Don't leave the lights on 24/7. It will stress them out because they sleep at night and have no eyelids. I would try to maybe aerate the tank a little more? I have a hood that half of it opens up in the front and I would open it and cover that part with craft mesh. Does that make sense?

One thing you could do is either wrap the tank when it gets colder, keep your house a consistent temp, or at night, close the lid and keep it aerated during the day when the lights turn on. I haven't tried that but I would see if it works for you.

Also keep the temp between 78-80.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #344 
zebra3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Don't leave the lights on 24/7. It will stress them out because they sleep at night and have no eyelids. I would try to maybe aerate the tank a little more? I have a hood that half of it opens up in the front and I would open it and cover that part with craft mesh. Does that make sense?

One thing you could do is either wrap the tank when it gets colder, keep your house a consistent temp, or at night, close the lid and keep it aerated during the day when the lights turn on. I haven't tried that but I would see if it works for you.

Also keep the temp between 78-80.
The tank has a filter. It's always on. There is a flap on top. I always keep it closed. Heat would escape if I opened it. I once had a betta when I was a kid live for at least 5 years, and I kept it in a 1 gallon. Maybe my previous one just had poor genetics.
zebra3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #345 
AyalaCookiejar

I'm just saying you could crack the lid to balance out the heat that the light puts off and close it when you turn the lights off at night to make up for it. Does that make sense?

I also agree that sometimes they just get sick even in perfect care and I don't think its your fault.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #346 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
Are there any videos of a fish with this disease?
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #347 
LittleBlueFishlets

Little Leaf - Are you asking if there are videos of a fish with Myco? There aren't any 'significant' symptoms that would show up in a video.

The disease affects the internal organs first, so there are no visible symptoms. The fish might be a little lethargic. It may be slightly bloated.....

As the 'end' approaches, it may develop skin lesions. It may develop additional bloating, or "dropsy" type symptoms. At the very end, its fins may turn gray or black. But not all fish will have the same symptoms. And even if the symptoms are displayed, they may not be very noticeable. (For example, the article I read said that some fish develop skin lesions, but others do not.)

(P.S. I don't think that either King Dedede or Rose have this. I think they are just suffering from being in an overcrowded tank. I know that your parents won't let you move the fish, so this is not your fault. But I think their symptoms are caused by the stress of being in that tank. I don't think they have Myco.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:44 AM   #348 
bettafishgirl

I think Pericles died of this...I wish I knew of this before I disposed of him! I dismissed it as old age, and I could have brought I to my mother (retired vet tech and works in a petsmart)

Having my mother to let me in on a few things, and I still have equipment in my attic, I think I just may try to analyze this illness myself... maybe it is a highly adapted form of finrot? Maybe it is an odd combination of dropsy, finrot and liver fail? I may be caused from lack of room or over heated water... for every illness there has to be a cause that makes then disease start.

So we have infant established that the illness is contagious and moves quickly through the body. Does it effect the organs, or the very cells of this fish? Is it only found in Bettas and if not, is it found in autotrophs and amphibians?

So many inquiries...

Last edited by bettafishgirl; 04-14-2013 at 01:49 AM.
bettafishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #349 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafishgirl View Post
I think Pericles died of this...I wish I knew of this before I disposed of him! I dismissed it as old age, and I could have brought I to my mother (retired vet tech and works in a petsmart)

Having my mother to let me in on a few things, and I still have equipment in my attic, I think I just may try to analyze this illness myself... maybe it is a highly adapted form of finrot? Maybe it is an odd combination of dropsy, finrot and liver fail? I may be caused from lack of room or over heated water... for every illness there has to be a cause that makes then disease start.

So we have infant established that the illness is contagious and moves quickly through the body. Does it effect the organs, or the very cells of this fish? Is it only found in Bettas and if not, is it found in autotrophs and amphibians?

So many inquiries...
Its been identified as mycobacteria.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #350 
LittleBlueFishlets

bettafishgirl - As AyalaCookieJar said, it has been definitively identified as a Mycobacterial infection. Two breeders on this forum, Basement Bettas and Coppermoon, sent their fish to a lab for analysis. They posted the lab's results earlier in this thread. You can search through the thread and read their posts. They provide a lot of information regarding the disease.

If you would like more information about Mycobacteriosis, there is an excellent article available online: Mycobacterial Infections in Fish.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 04-14-2013 at 10:44 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote