Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #1 
Goodbettabest

Narrow & Tall 7 gal (28Ltr) tank v Wider 5 gal (20Ltr) tank

Hi guys,

Just wondering what you would choose and what you think is the better tank for a Betta - a 7gal cube tank that is deeper than it is wide or a 5 gal tank that is wider than it is deep?
Goodbettabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

For bettas you always want to aim for more "foot", aka more floor space. Remember that they have to get to the surface to breath.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #3 
Goodbettabest

Hmm, yep, I thought as much. Guess I'll just hold out a bit longer until the store re-stocks the 5 gal tanks. Thank you!
Goodbettabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

Longer is better but there are ways to work around taller tanks - tall, bushy plants so they can rest at the surface is one way. Alot of people have the marineland hex 5G and that is taller then it is wide. As long as the water is kept clean, the betta wont really care
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #5 
Blue Fish

I prefer long to tall. For one, I can more easily see my fish, because there's more places for them to swim and explore.

Also, they don't spend much time too far below the surface, so they may have 2 extra gallons, but they're not *using* them...so what's the point from the fish's POV. I had a 30g divided 3 ways, and I hated it. It was too tall, and I had to search for my fish...so I finally just got two 20g longs, and I think we're all much happier. :) (and I have space for one more fish! ;)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #6 
jadaBlu

BlueFish how tall was your 30 gallon? I am concerned I will feel the same way with my 40 gallon breeder. I would have had two twenty gallon longs but I am limited to having one tank (not my choice).
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:47 AM   #7 
VJM

And let's not forget that longer tanks give more room for aquascaping! Especially live plants.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #8 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
And let's not forget that longer tanks give more room for aquascaping! Especially live plants.
+1
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #9 
Blue Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
BlueFish how tall was your 30 gallon? I am concerned I will feel the same way with my 40 gallon breeder. I would have had two twenty gallon longs but I am limited to having one tank (not my choice).
I believe they're 18", whereas the 20 longs are 12". But, I also had mine up on a table (and I'm only 5'1", so I'm a midget ;), and two fish who prefer to hide in general, so that was a big part of it. Two of my other guys are attention hogs, and they would have most likely been great in the taller/narrow spaces because they swim up to meet me. :)

I know *lots* of people divide the bigger ones and have absolutely no problem, I think it was more my height, the height of the table, and two of the three bettas in it were shy and heavy finned. :)

I'm just going to use that 30g for my sorority now, they like to swim and hide and move all around. And I can have *LOTS* of girls. ;) I never thought I'd get so excited about girls...they're addicting... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
Yeah...there's that too... ;) I had a 20 tall that I'm now putting into storage for a 20 long just because the aquascaping that I want to do isn't fitting the 20 tall. (and the petco sale was just too good to pass up... ;)

Not sure what I'll eventually do with the 20 tall...I'm sure something will live in it eventually. ;)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote