Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #11 
dude

I was thinking for setting up brand new tanks for newbies. And perhaps for information and education purposes of setting up second tank/filter. Newbies don't have a tank at all, never mind a second quarantine tank! I think a bigger and more common problem is people who don't know better, get frustrated waiting for cycling and add fish regardless and that's how so many fish are needlessly killed by new fish keepers. When there new 55 gallon tank is a week or 2 old they throw half a ton of new plants and 20 fish. Regardless of quarantine issues those fish will probably die of ammonia or nitrite poisoning but would stand a chance of surviving if the filter had some mature media in it. I just think GOOD fish shops could do more to help newbies seed their new tanks and cycle quicker to prevent this.

Marine aquarium fish keepers buy live rock for similar purposes. What's the difference?
dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #12 
kyle89

Its all about money to them. If they sell the fish and it gets poisoned from new tank syndrome its not the stores fault. But if the store was to sell media and fish were to die they become liable. Plus they would not be able to sell bacteria in a bottle products. Some stores will actually give you media. Its hit or miss.
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #13 
dude

I'm not sure they would be any more liable than they are now selling misleading bottles of non-existent BB. However I accept your point, it's got a lot to do with sales and money. Although considering my point above about mature live rock and the stupid amounts of money that can sell for, maybe they are missing a trick with selling mature filter media for high prices too.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #14 
kyle89

Petcos I know sell driftwood from there tanks which would have some Bb but I don't trust there tanks. But the bacteria in a bottle won't kill fish like a disease could. I agree though and think it would be nice if fish stores had a sperate tank set up to sell filter media from. Either way you can always ask the store for filter media. The worse they are gonna say is no
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #15 
dude

I think most fish/pet shops have such a long way to go before they are close to ideal. It's a shame. A lot of the manufacturers have a certain amount to answer for with perpetuating myths about what filtration does, how it really works etc. You're right it's just a money thing I guess.

Going back to the topic; Keeping a second filter running in a tank is a great idea so you have a functioning/cycled filter to use in a new tank when you come home with an impulse purchase or to setup a makeshift quarantine/treatment tank for a sick fish etc.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #16 
jadaBlu

I just thought since some of what I read talks about fish droppings being helpful that old tank water might be useful. All of my tanks have sponge filters some of them are in two gallons. I think I could just take a couple out to help things along. I don't think my fish are going to miss them they really are not neccessary for two gallons.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote