Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #1 
KwLDeL

Looking for info on fin rot

Hello, I hear fin rot is common I also hear it is not hard to cure. I know nothing about it so this could be completely wrong. So I would like to ask you all to help me identify it and also learn about how a fish gets it and I. The worst case scenario get rid of it. Ok fist off I work a lot so I felt bad for my betta (Yes I know how insane I sound) so my solution was to get a pet for my pet I researched and found that planta faith make great tank mates for betta, one because they are small and smooth with no large fins fluttering about tempting my betta to go after it and two they and passive in nature. The short long of it is I bought one Saturday. And my bettas good with it well getting there lets say he chased her everytime he thought he was about to be fed. Day by day he's becoming more sharing. Now could of this fish brought fin rot to my tank? And what can of disease can be cared over from on tank to another also is it something that happens offten and is their anything to prevent it or at least better my odds of preventing it ? Lastly I read planta fish should be in groups of 3 to 4 so would it be a good idea to go get another one?
Thanks for your time please help me learn about these issues and please take a look at the picture and tell me if this could be the early stages of fin rot
Respectfully, D.Del
Attached Images

KwLDeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:17 AM   #2 
AkaRyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwLDeL View Post
Hello, I hear fin rot is common I also hear it is not hard to cure. I know nothing about it so this could be completely wrong. So I would like to ask you all to help me identify it and also learn about how a fish gets it and I. The worst case scenario get rid of it. Ok fist off I work a lot so I felt bad for my betta (Yes I know how insane I sound) so my solution was to get a pet for my pet I researched and found that planta faith make great tank mates for betta, one because they are small and smooth with no large fins fluttering about tempting my betta to go after it and two they and passive in nature. The short long of it is I bought one Saturday. And my bettas good with it well getting there lets say he chased her everytime he thought he was about to be fed. Day by day he's becoming more sharing. Now could of this fish brought fin rot to my tank? And what can of disease can be cared over from on tank to another also is it something that happens offten and is their anything to prevent it or at least better my odds of preventing it ? Lastly I read planta fish should be in groups of 3 to 4 so would it be a good idea to go get another one?
Thanks for your time please help me learn about these issues and please take a look at the picture and tell me if this could be the early stages of fin rot
Respectfully, D.Del

I have never heard of planta faith/fish. do you have any photos of one? Also, how big is the tank these fish are in? As far as I know, a common way of getting fin rot is a lot of ammonia in the water. Not doing water changes enough will cause fin rot. Also, if there are too many fish in a fish tank then that will raise the ammonia levels very fast, and all your fish will be sick with worse than fin rot. I don't know what fish you are putting in the tank, but it isn't recommended to have multiple fish in a tank smaller than 5 gallons. If your betta is in a tank smaller than 5 gallons/19 liters then i would take the new fish out.
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote