Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #1 
Kyurem150

Post *HELP* Advice! Aqueon Evolve 8

Hi! I am planning on returning my tank back because I found that I bought the wrong one *Facepalm* So, I was looking around PetSmart and found a 8 Gallon tank that looks perfect. It is on sale too for $59.99 http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
I've heard the outflow is pretty strong and would like some advice on how to make it less strong to not stress out my Betta. I am also planning on adding a Anubius plant and a Marimo Moss ball. And some silk plants and maybe a cave if I have enough money. Also, I will not be able to have a spare tank while I make my trip to the store. I will have to house the betta in its original cup again :/ *IMPORTANT* http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
I am looking forward to a sand base bottom. I think my plants will be able to grow in this sand as it is also a substrate. So, what else should I get? I saw this heater and can't find anything else that is cheap and below $20 But this heater seems to be worth it. http://www.petco.com/product/120380/...pplies_Heaters
I would very much appreciate as much information and advice as possible. I was also thinking about a divider so I can put 2 Bettas in the 8 gallon tank. Any advice on dividers? Thanks in advance!!
Kyurem150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #2 
kyle89

Its actually not a 8 gallon tank but more like 6ish gallon I believe. Also the led may grow a low light plant. As to heater I hear great reviews on the aqueon 50w an the hydor brand. I have a hydor 25w in my 5 gallon an love it. Its small keeps a nice steady temperature an was easy on the wallet. I got it at a LFS four just under 20
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #3 
DiiQue

I have the Aqueon 8 and love it. My suggestion would be to not buy everything all at once, its 8gallons total, but you have to subtract the back compartment so your fish has closer to 6gallons worth of space. I made the mistake of buying things left and right and ended up not using half of what I bought because they made the tank too cramped. The outflow is strong, but I just bought some aquarium sponge and rubberbanded that to the outflow spout. i also recommend wrapping the pump in a similar sponge as its vibration does make noise, to the point that its highly noticeable in a quiet room.As to dividing, I dont recommend it as the space isnt all that big once you factor everything in, but that's just my humble opinion.

I use the Carabsea ecoComplete substrate and love it... If what you want is of similar quality, then you'll be fine.

I cant comment on the heater you provided but if its adjustable, then it should be okay. Do some more searching for reviews if you absolutely have to get that, but if you can buy others, I recommend the hydor adjustable heaters... Really good quality!

Good luck!

Last edited by DiiQue; 04-10-2013 at 10:25 PM.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #4 
Kyurem150

@DiiQue, where would I get the sponge? I think I have some at home but just in case. Does anyone have experience with sand? Is this the heater? http://www.petco.com/product/116663/...pplies_Heaters

Last edited by Kyurem150; 04-10-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Kyurem150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #5 
Otterfun

remember to register for PetRewards at Petco, you get $5 for every $100 spent.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:34 AM   #6 
kyle89

That's one of the hydor heaters. The Theo gets really good reviews
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote