Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #1 
bannlow2471

Bettas and bubble nests

So ... I woke up this morning to my little baby very intently building a bubble nest in the corner of his tank closest to my bed. Now, I know females have been known to build bubble nests (or so I have heard), but this behavior, combined with fins that seem quite long for his body size head to tail, his flarey-ness, etc. seem proof positive that I have a boy on my hands. But I thought the bubble nesting making did not commence until they were more mature? By my best estimation my little guy is only about two months old? However, I have heard people say that sometimes these Petco "babies" are just younger fish that are the "runts" of the spawn and may be older than they actually look initially, and then once they get home and get into some warm water with some decent care, they color up and grow pretty quickly. Does that mean I may have a young adult on my hands? If so, how old are the boys, generally, when they start making bubble nests.

The first pic is of my little one when I got him three weeks ago tomorrow and the second is of him from earlier this week: the second picture may make him look bigger than he is, but he's still only about an inch long nose to tail.
Attached Images

bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #2 
bettacrazygirl86

I'm subscribing to this. :) I just got a baby betta a while ago, and his/her fins seem a bit long already for a girl. Mine looks almost identical to yours, actually. I'm kind of hoping he's a boy.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #3 
Xeek

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post
I'm subscribing to this. :) I just got a baby betta a while ago, and his/her fins seem a bit long already for a girl. Mine looks almost identical to yours, actually. I'm kind of hoping he's a boy.
She just doesn't look like a baby to me anymore :) She may be small right now, mine still is and shes an adult. Her coloration looks quite mature to me, she's not your baby anymore - you have to accept that she is ready to leave the nest and go to college. Don't cry. She can still be your baby, just not as a baby anymore. You have to let her date/kill boy bettas, not eat what she doesn't want, and drink beer. Good luck.

Being transported, stressed, put in a small cup, and transported again to your home. I am not surprised these baby bettas don't get up to their full potential sizes. She's likely to remain small for a betta, but my smallest females are the fastest swimmers.

Last edited by Xeek; 04-11-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #4 
bannlow2471

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post
That's funny because I was kind of hoping for a girl because I wanted to start a sorority. In fact, less than two weeks after getting the baby, I got a female crown tail, because I was so sure initially that he? was a she. Turns out I was probably wrong, but that's fine - it just changes my plans some.

But anyway - for those in the know - generally how old are Bettas when they start building bubble nests? I wish I had taken a video of it, actually. It was so cute! My male veil tail, who is my office Betta, builds bubble nests all the time, but I never actually see him doing it, just the end results.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #5 
bannlow2471

@ Xeek, you are still thinking it's a girl, then, huh? Is it, therefore, that common that females build bubble nests? And this guy/gal has some super long fins for a girl. His/her dorsal fin is at least as long as Suma's (my female crowntail) at a younger age.

I will have to accept that my "baby" is grown - but it really is incredible how quickly the transformation took place. Less than three weeks ago I had a little tadpole looking thing and now I have a gorgeous, if really small, fish.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #6 
lmpaynter

whatever it is, it's a good looking fish! I'm partial to red/blue betas.
lmpaynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #7 
Xeek

When you are around he is more interested in your potential to feed him than making a nest. My male betta tank is near my bed so sometimes when I am in bed and not really moving they go back to their daily business and I can watch them slowly put together that nest.

My females have never made bubble nests, I guess because they are in a sorority and being on the defense is more prudent than artwork.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote