Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
5 gal

What temperature is your tank?
78 degrees, very constant

Does your tank have a filter?
Yes

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No

Is your tank heated?
Yes

What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Betta pellets mostly. Once or twice a week, bloodworms.

How often do you feed your betta fish?
Once a day. One day a week, I try to fast him.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
Once a week

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
50%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
I let the water age in a bucket for about a day, and add a water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

as of 4/11
Ammonia: There is not a reading on my test strip. I didn't realize this.
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7-7.5
Hardness: 120 (it was 60 initially and then darkened)
Alkalinity: Again, not available on my test strip and I didn't realize it.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
The rear tail has gotten significantly shorter.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
The only other thing I noticed is he's actually swimming around more as opposed to gliding, and darting very fast occationally.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Today, 4/11

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
I have not, I did a water change yesterday and want to avoid stress if possible.

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
No

How old is your fish (approximately)?
I've had him since 3/27, and the shop owner let on he was somewhere around 3 to 4.5 months.
This is Fishie when I first got him on 3/27 (beautiful little guy )

This is a shot from today, 4/11

I hope you can see the difference in his tail size. The biggest spot is literally right behind his "butt".

Hi, this is my fish Fishie (I still don't have a name). He's the third betta I've had since August. My first betta got fin rot, so I know a bit about it, and just want more opinions to verify, etc.
If you need more info, let me know. Thanks.
zombiebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #2 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Fin rot fosho. Gotta start treating him for it in an iso tank asap.
Only other thing would be tail biting, but it looks too severe over a short time to be biting.
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #3 
zombiebean

Dang :( I've been trying really hard to keep him healthy.
And no, he's alone. Any recommendations for treating -- all I have is aquarium salt
zombiebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #4 
Lostiethatlikesherbetta

add a bit of aquarim salts but actually it looks more like fin biting because of no black edges
Lostiethatlikesherbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

He's a beautiful fish!

Do you see any dark-colored or "smudgy" edges on his fins? If so, this would indicate tail rot.

If there is no discoloration, this can indicate tail biting. Look for U-shaped chunks missing from the fins.

To me.... I don't see the discoloration that indicates fin rot. I do see U-shaped chunks missing... So I'm thinking he is tail biting.

But let us know if you see dark or discolored areas on his fins, along the edges. This would indicate fin rot....

Tail biting is a common issue in the longer finned fish. They do it for a variety of reasons. The difficulty is for *us* to figure out the cause!

Since you just got him recently, he may have been stressed out by being shipped to the store, or the conditions in the store, or the change to your larger tank, or.... well, just about anything.

Basically, you have to vary things until you find a combination that makes him happy. This might mean more decorations, different decorations.... More interaction with you.... Changing his food, if he doesn't care for it... Reducing stress.... etc.

I would not use aquarium salt for tail biting. I would just vary things in his environment until I found the set of conditions that got him to stop.

But again, if you do see dark or discolored areas on his fins, it's likely to be fin rot, rather than tail biting. The best way to treat fin rot is to keep them in warm, clean water.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #6 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

One, different types of fin rot cause different kinds of edging. There is fungal and bacterial. If there is the discoloration mentioned above, it's fin/tail rot

Two, I would not use aquarium salts. Aquarium salts cause water retention which makes Bettas sick. Last thing your little guy needs is more things ailing him.

Three, if it is tail/fin rot, try and find Seachem Kanaplex. If you can't find it, get Maracyn Two and follow the directions. Both of these treat Fin Rot, both bacterial and fungal, though Maracyn Two is harder on the betta's system. But Kanaplex is harder to find.
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
He's a beautiful fish!

Do you see any dark-colored or "smudgy" edges on his fins? If so, this would indicate tail rot.

If there is no discoloration, this can indicate tail biting. Look for U-shaped chunks missing from the fins.

To me.... I don't see the discoloration that indicates fin rot. I do see U-shaped chunks missing... So I'm thinking he is tail biting.

But let us know if you see dark or discolored areas on his fins, along the edges. This would indicate fin rot....

Tail biting is a common issue in the longer finned fish. They do it for a variety of reasons. The difficulty is for *us* to figure out the cause!

Since you just got him recently, he may have been stressed out by being shipped to the store, or the conditions in the store, or the change to your larger tank, or.... well, just about anything.

Basically, you have to vary things until you find a combination that makes him happy. This might mean more decorations, different decorations.... More interaction with you.... Changing his food, if he doesn't care for it... Reducing stress.... etc.

I would not use aquarium salt for tail biting. I would just vary things in his environment until I found the set of conditions that got him to stop.

But again, if you do see dark or discolored areas on his fins, it's likely to be fin rot, rather than tail biting. The best way to treat fin rot is to keep them in warm, clean water.
+1
If he is otherwise acting healthy try more water changes first.
If you think he really have fin rot and his fins getting worse or you will see behavior changes than you think about treatment. Salt treatment always good idea to try before you start medications which are more stressful on fish.
Yes salt can be harmful for fish but only when you use it for long time . Bettas are very tolerable and beneficial from the salt treatment when needed, you just need to know therapeutic dose of it and right duration.
Just want to make sure that you also vacuum the gravel when you change the water and rinse /swish the filter media in the old water with a water change.
Also just curious did you disinfect the tank after your other betta died?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot, fin rot help