Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #21 
Catw0man

The Dalmation ones are amazing! Can't wait to hear more about your spawn!
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #22 
Darth

I know that the original Dalmations were orange but guess what? The dog Dalmation is Black and white..so.....
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #23 
Skyewillow

These two are gorgeous!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #24 
logisticsguy

Hi Darth. This spawn threw everything all kinds of different marbles and solids. I am now trying 3 spawns of the siblings for f2. Any advise on breeding these is appreciated. Sorry dont mean to pic spam your thread Darth.

logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #25 
Darth

Vary nice I would love to have some of those, I have a real nice male green marble but no female, seems you are doing fine, but I would spawn the lightest ones.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #26 
SDragon

Wow those are some of the most beautiful fishing ever seen! Stunning!!!
SDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #27 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
Vary nice I would love to have some of those, I have a real nice male green marble but no female, seems you are doing fine, but I would spawn the lightest ones.
Thanks Darth. We should stay in touch and share genetics going forward if you like. Question for you as Ive gotten different answers and you may have the correct answer. Did cold temperature cause the original marbles Walt got from Orville? I have also been told radiation of the eggs caused it. Any help is appreciated. I havent come across any green marbles with my fish yet that would be awesome.

Last edited by logisticsguy; 04-11-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #28 
Darth

Cold has nothing to do with genetics, sport however happen in nature all the time, in fact I also breed tomatoes and an example of a somatic mutation is the fact I had a aplant that had all purple fruits except for one branch, the one branch had all white tomatoes, when planted again the seeds from that white branch will produce all white tomatoes while the purple seeds, all purple.
Radiation can cause mutations but seeing how Orville had no access to anything that would produce Gamma rays in a jail cell I think that says a lot.
I also believe that the original melano betta had a damaged genetic signature and it expressed as a gender biased expression, that caused the melanphores to stick together and pile up thus rendering the eggs infertile.
Pnat genetics wok a lot different than fish genes, however even breeding those there are many variables depending if something is Homozygous or Heterozygous one you can see one you cannot until it expresses later on.
Also it depends on where a given chromosome is on the strand if it is across from another gene expression is likely and then there are factors of re ccesive genes..it so happens the marble gene is what is termed a "Jumping gene".
If one is trying to breed for a certain color, the marble gene should be avoided at all costs..many crosses were made to show instant results while the consequences are still being felt another one is the blond gene, many people breed without the proper knowledge of what they are doing.
If it was up to me I would make sure any judges in the IBC would have a genetic background so they would stop puttong oressure on breeders to meet specifications that are depleting the genetic diversity of this craft.

Last edited by Darth; 04-11-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:58 AM   #29 
logisticsguy

Thanks for the info Darth its very appreciated.