Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #11 
Coppermoon

I too think it was from temp shock.
IF/when you get a bigger tank...Betta don't like current!!! The only Betta that like current are mouthbrooders. Betta Splendid are bubble nesters...which means they build bubble nests...they can't be built in running water. I have females in my 75g with current...know were they hang out??? Around the barracks that I have stuck on the side...out of the current.

Filtering a Betta tank needs to be a sponge type filter, and not an HOB that creates current (IMO).

Anyway...fishless cycle (I understand lifeless: Not using life/live fish)..."feed" the filter...I'm going to recant my statement here just a bit....using an HOB filter, drop food behind the filter media (put a sponge type filter into the tank and run it also)...it will still take 6 weeks to cycle a tank. I still say that Betta Splendid don't like water with current...LOL

Last edited by Coppermoon; 04-10-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #12 
mbenton89

fishless cycle lifeless cycle nitrogen cycle i am just going to cycle my tank i think we all get that hahahahah feakrah seems to be doing a little better just got him some bettafix and some blackworms hopefully he enjoys this all
mbenton89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #13 
Blue Fish

Okay, I tried to multiquote...and apparently I'm failing at it because I'm just not getting there. Anyway, I'm with Aokashi, the lifeless cycles was really funny. ;)

You are welcome for the links! As for planted tanks, check out the forum on here for planted tanks, that's where you'll get the best information on those. :) I have only got a few live plants scattered here and there in each of my tanks, so I'm not able to give anybody good advice on that one. :)

Now, STOP THE BETTAFIX...go ahead and change his water 100% to get rid of it! That stuff can kill your fish. :( It works for some people...some of the time, but far too often people end up with fish who cannot breathe (the bettafix coats their labyrinth organ and they suffocate), and they die. It's best to avoid all of those "fix" medications. Sorry, didn't mean to yell, but I wanted to make sure that got noticed here in the larger post. :)

Water Changes: As for cleaning, how big is your bowl? It's a 1 gallon, right? That'll need to have a 100% water change every other day to keep the ammonia down. Take him out of the bowl, put him into his store cup or another plastic container, dump out all the old water, wash off the gravel, etc. and put new water back in at 78 degrees (use your water thermometer to test to make sure it's the right temp) and put in your water conditioner. Now, float his little cup in the new tank water, and add in about a tablespoon of new water every 15 mins for the next hour or so. Then pour out as much of the cup water as you can, and put him into his bowl. This will acclimate him to the new water, and keep him from being stressed. :)

Dim Lights: Another thing that will help him be less stressed is while he's floating, put him into a dark or dim room, that helps them feel safe. :)

Heater: As for your heater, I've never used one of those bowl heaters, but I've heard that they are a pretty awful about keeping the temp up. For right now, just use it until you've gotten a bigger tank, and then you can look around for a good heater that will fit the big tank. :) (You don't want to buy two new heaters if you don't have to.) By putting in his new/fresh water change water at a higher temp, it'll help his little bowl heater to keep the water warmer. As long as he's at 75, he's okay, that's just the lower end of the spectrum, but he's still all right. (I actually keep all my guys about 76 to 78 on purpose.)

Meds: had a rough life so far, going from the petstore and them some shock at your house when he first came home. He's still recovering, and meds can actually make it worse sometimes by stressing them out more. Let him hang out in warm, clean water for a few days and see if he starts to feel better. :) As long as he's eating, his fins aren't clamped, he's not breathing hard, and his color is good, he's okay, he just needs some adjustment time.

If you really want, you can put a teaspoon of Epsom salts in his bowl for a few days, and see if he starts to perk up. Just make sure they're plain, unscented, white, Epsom salts. No dyes or perfumes. These are made for people and come in a bag or carton, you can get them at any drug or grocery store. :)
Oh, and let the salt dissolve completely before you put him into the water with them. Otherwise, they can burn him. (I did that once, my poor Buckley had a nasty run-in and I felt terrible afterwards, fortunately, he was okay once he got into clean water.)

The *EPSOM* salts *not* aquarium salt or any sort of table or sea salt, will help him in a variety of ways.
-If he's got any internal parasites, this will help to clean him up a bit.
-If he's got any ammonia burns, scrapes, fin tears or anything like that, the salts will help to soothe them and will do some to prevent infections.
-If he's not bathrooming regularly due to stress or changes in diet, this will also help him out and make him feel better.

Aquarium salt also has it's uses, but it is harder on their systems, the Epsom salts are gentler, and what you need right now is for him to de-stress so his immune system can come back online. Too many meds or harsh salt will only hinder this process.

I hope that helps!! :)

Oh, and one more, make sure you take some plastic wrap (like saran wrap that's used for food) and tape it over the top of his bowl, leaving about two inches of air between the surface of the water and the wrap. This will help to keep the humidity in at the water's surface, and he'll be able to breathe more easily...which will, you guessed it, reduce his stress. ;) Punch a couple of holes in it for a little bit of air exchange, or leave a spot open on one side, just to allow a little air to come and go so he doesn't suffocate. :) There is a very knowledgeable member (Old Fish Lady, aka OFL) :) on here who rec's the plastic wrap all the time, and I know my guys really seemed to appreciate it when I started doing it after her instructions. :)

Last edited by Blue Fish; 04-10-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #14 
Blue Fish

Oh, and the blackworms...I've heard that those can cause some serious problems as well. (Don't worry, we've all got tales of things we thought were good and then found out were just the opposite! :)

You're better off with frozen blood worms, frozen Mysis shrimp, and frozen brine shrimp for treats/diet variety. :) These are all very safe for your boy, and won't cause him any problems. Just defrost and let them get to room temp before feeding. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #15 
mbenton89

my betta seems to be doing a lot better with the 100 percent water change he is currenty in bettafix just woke up and read the post. i hear too many mixed messages about bettafix and blackworms honestly. some people say theyve been using betttafix with all there bettas and they have been fine and lived for years where others say they give it to there betta and they drop like a rock so idk who to belive. right now he's in with bettafix but at half strength. i read somewhere on this site that using it at half concentration is a lot bettter on your fish. same thing with the blackworms people say they giive em to there betta all the time and hes fine and some say not to so idk who to belive i do know when i do feed him the blackworms i try to cut em in half killing them. i dont know where to find any of the frozen foods went to my LFS and they gave me the black worms. my bowl is at a constant 76 deg so im content with that would like to see it warmer i guess but what do ya do. i do like the saran wrap idea but i have bamboo chutes in bowl sticking out the top so idk what to do i guess. coppermoon what is a good sponge filter to get for my betta then if they don't like current some people talk about a whisper series that sounds like a good one idk if its a sponge though
Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #16 
Coppermoon

I get mine from a friend that has an online store...
((I'm having trouble with my internet right now)) http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com is the link (if it copied right) to his store...I would give a direct link to the filters if I could ((sorry)).

As far as blackworms...they DO carry Hex. I won't feed them. IF you want to feed live food, I'd go with White Worms (must be kept in a frig..wine frig set on Whites is best), or grindals (a smaller version of White Worms). You can gut load them with high protein foods. IF you just want to feed a good quality pellet, then New Life Spectrum Betta is a good food. Most breeders have switched to this when Atison's was no longer available.

Use Prime as your water conditioner. It changes the ammonia to a non-toxic form (I have never used anything other than Prime, so I'm not sure how good the other 2 "name brands"..I forget the names..are).
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #17 
ao
TFK Moderator

Personally I've never used betta fix or seen a need to ^__^
I keep a clean black worm culture and feed my fish the occasional one for a treat. if you do purchase these cultures, watch out for leeches...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #18 
mbenton89

coppermoon that blue betta is beautiful!!!!! so what do you mean keep a clean blackworm culture? just keep them in clean fresh water in fridge? as for the bettafix it was recommended to me from my LFS. I only use it at half strrenth but will prob go with the IAL next time if needed. how should i use that properly? its not something i want to keep my betta in all the time is it? just when hes sick or something? i have done some research just hard to find how to use it. also i figured you guys wanted to see my betta!!! heres some pics they are a little blury never realized how hard it was to get a good shot of a fish hahaha.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #19 
mbenton89

hreres another lol
Attached Images