Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #1 
mushumouse

algae wafers

i'm not sure where to put this question exactly... i have two small amano shrimp in with my betta, and a little while ago i just cleaned a bunch of the algae off of my plants and tank walls. the plants are doing better without it but i was worried the amanos wouldn't have enough to eat, so i bought some of the NLS algae wafers. my question is, how do these work? they are HUGE. between two hungry little shrimp (and a curious betta unfortunately) they don't even make an impact on a broken quarter-piece in one sitting. i've been taking them out after an hour, but most of the piece is still there at that point. are you supposed to leave algae wafers in the tank? or should i be crushing them into tiny bits?
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #2 
GailC

Try and break it into smaller pieces, just enough for the shrimp to eat.
GailC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #3 
mushumouse

ok, i'll try to smash one and see what happens. thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #4 
Laki

I can't put stuff like that in my tank without bettas gorging themselves. And shrimp are pretty timid, they won't eat if the betta comes around so you can cup the betta and then drop down the wafer piece. If they're hungry the shrimp will immediately come to it and eat what they want. I find my +10 RCS don't completely eat a full 1/4 wafer so I doubt yours will.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #5 
mushumouse

yeah that was why i wanted to avoid crushing it if i could, i'm sure he'll try to eat it all if it's in small enough pieces. the first time i put one in, i came back to find he'd dragged it under the driftwood and was sitting on the bottom in front of it, staring at it, so that the shrimp couldn't eat any and he could scoot forward to nibble at it whenever he wanted. cupping him is a great idea though, i don't know why it didn't occur to me!
Old 04-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #6 
frankiefire

I use a razor to cut it int small pieces for the shrimp. If here is any left after an hour or so I use a turkey baster to remove what's left.
frankiefire is offline   Reply With Quote