Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #11 
kyle89

Well its experiment time. I got some pictures did a water change and now I'm gonna add safe start. I will report back on how it worked
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:54 AM   #12 
Nicci Lu

I too had the idea of using SafeStart during a nitrite spike- it was during my cycle. I found it useless because a) you are not supposed to change the water for 7 days after adding and b) you cannot use an ammonia/nitrite detoxifying product such as Prime. It doesn't say so on the bottle, but Tetra's website states that if a detoxifying conditioner is used, you must wait 24 hours before adding the SafeStart. Nor can you add a detox conditioner at any point (they don't specify for exactly how long- I'm guessing 7 days) while SafeStart is 'working.' To me, that's just ridiculous- no way am I going to expose my fish to nitrite/ammonia poisoning so that I will have a quicker cycle.

I guess it's too late, since it sounds like you've already purchased the SafeStart- I know, I'm a big help. But I would recommend Seachem's Stability for a cycle starter. You can use Prime and do water changes while using it, and it won't impair the product's effectiveness. My nitrite spike was over two days after using it, and my cycle complete. Whether this was due to Stability or simply my cycle's natural timeline is anyone's guess, however.

Last edited by Nicci Lu; 04-10-2013 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Too late to be online
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #13 
ryancalif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci Lu View Post
I too had the idea of using SafeStart during a nitrite spike- it was during my cycle. I found it useless because a) you are not supposed to change the water for 7 days after adding and b) you cannot use an ammonia/nitrite detoxifying product such as Prime. It doesn't say so on the bottle, but Tetra's website states that if a detoxifying conditioner is used, you must wait 24 hours before adding the SafeStart. Nor can you add a detox conditioner at any point (they don't specify for exactly how long- I'm guessing 7 days) while SafeStart is 'working.' To me, that's just ridiculous- no way am I going to expose my fish to nitrite/ammonia poisoning so that I will have a quicker cycle.
Safestart has a high concentration of nitrite oxidizing bacteria, so soon after you add the bottle to your tank, you'll notice a significant drop in nitrite levels. My tank went from about 1ppm to 0ppm (with a subsequent increase in nitrates from 0 ppm to 5 ppm) overnight after adding safestart. So there's really no need to add Prime or any other ammonia/nitrite detoxifier (I didn't add any for an entire week and my water was fine).

The weird thing is either the nitrosomonas bacteria (ammonia oxiding) in the bottle were dead, or significant lacking in concentration because I had a persistant ammonia level of about 0.5 ppm for about 4 days after adding safestart. It didn't go past 0.5 ppm though which I thought was interesting...
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #14 
kyle89

So I believe I am good again an here are my results
I came home from the LFS to this

Did a 75 percent change

To get this

I did a 50 percent chance

An than a 25 percent to lower a little more

At this point I added a little of a 1/3 of safestart. I came home to high levels again so I change 50 percent of the water an added the last 2/3 safestart to treat 5 gallons. I came home to a very very low almost light blue nitrite reading. So almost 24 hours latter high nitrite spikes are down. Squirt has also built another bubble nest which he didn't do at all durning the spikes so I take that as a good sign too
Old 04-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #15 
ryancalif

Glad to see safestart worked. Did you test your nitrates yet?
Old 04-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #16 
kyle89

I still have a small amount of nitrites but not the unsafe spikes in was getting. This is manageable now
Old 04-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #17 
ryancalif

Hmm, odd you're not seeing any nitrates...

Did you change the water right before testing?
Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #18 
kyle89

No that was when I got home I did a little under a 50 percent water change just a little bit ago.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #19 
kyle89

OK so I came home today to a very hard working fish. He had a full bubble new built and nitrite levels are finally down to 0 but still no nitrate spike
Old 04-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #20 
VincentTH

I read somewhere that the BB are in the tank wall and in the sponge filters, and not much in the water. With that in mind, I always do a 25% (or less) water change whenever I start a new tank and the Ammonia level is above 0.50ppm. I add SafeStart every 3 days if the Ammonia level remains above 0.50 ppm.
VincentTH is offline   Reply With Quote