Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #1 
Bamboodoo

New owner, Bad case of Cloudy Eye? Please Help!

Hello!

I'm a new Betta owner. I have to admit, I didn't know there was so much to know about Betta keeping before I came to this site (I'm embarrassed I didn't try and find info online before this). I got my male Betta (Oeni) about a year ago. He's always been docile, and never aggressive (I showed him a mirror once and he got scared and darted away).

For about 2 months I've been battling what I think is cloudy eye (pics). It started with one eye and then moved to the other. The pet store worker gave me Bettafix to fix it. I followed the directions but there was no change. My friend recommended Melafix, so 2 weeks after the betta fix treatment I did a week of that, with no change. I couldn't bring myself to try medicating again! so I did a full water change and cleaned everything and took out his plant. About a week ago I got scared because he wasn't responding to me and was not eating. So, I've started another treatment of Melafix,(on the 5th day) but there's no change w/ his eyes. Can someone give me some advice on getting rid of this cloudy eye please!!

In the pictures you'll see that the lens of his eye is clear and that it is the pupil, which should be black, is cloudy. The thing on his side is a floating piece of food btw lol. Also, the dark scales on his sides have always been there and have never changed. Thanks :)! I really want my betta to be happy and healthy (I'm going to get him a 2.4 gallon tank as soon as he's healthy)
Attached Images

Bamboodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #2 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Is he acting sick in any other way? Not eating, really grumpy, flashing, rubbing against things, etc?

How big is his tank? How often are you doing water changes? Are you treating the water? How warm is the tank? Cloudy eyes can be caused by ammonia poisoning.

If you can, see if you can get a water quality test kit from a pet shop to test his water for ammonia and nitrate levels.

Last edited by XxxXnoodleXxxX; 04-12-2013 at 12:18 PM.
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #3 
Bamboodoo

He's not eating very much, he ate last night (one pellet I saw), but I didn't see him eat this morning. He's slow with responding to things around him. He's in one of those 0.5 gallon kits with the raised gravel trays in the middle. I was changing half his water once a week or so, but now I realize that wasn't enough.

Thanks! I'll go pick a water test today! Do you think I should continue for the next two days of the Melafix, or should just do a 100% water change.

I only treat the water with conditioner when I add new water. I've been reading I should be adding 1tsp/per gallon of aquasalt? Do you think I should do that after the water change, or would it be a bit drastic, since he's not used to salt in his water.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #4 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Don't use aquarium salt. It's hard on Bettas. You only use that if there's external injuries, which there isn't in your case. My suggestions are thus:

1. Get a bigger tank. .5 gallons is just way too small for a betta. Use at least a 1.5 or 2 gallon, and you should be doing partial water changes every other day with a tank that small. I prefer about a 5 gallon aquarium personally, but a 0.5 is brutal for a betta, especially with the infrequent water changes you were doing.

2. Get the test kit, post the results when you get them.

3. Get unscented epsom salts and add that in the water. One teaspoon per gallon.

4. If you don't have a heater, get a heater for your tank. Bettas are tropical fish, and they do horribly in normal temperature water.

5. Do a 100% water change and lose the Melafix. I usually avoid anything with "fix" in the name.

6. Keep up with the water changes. On a 1gallon or so, I'd do a 50% every other day, with a 100% change once or twice a week on change days.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #5 
Bamboodoo

Thanks for the advice! I'm glad I can get some straight answers. I'm embarrassed about having such a small tank, I'm going to head out today and get him a new one, water test, and the salt. For the epson salts(unsented), do I get it at the pet store or is this something you get at a bulk store. I'm going to post a schedule by his tank so I can keep on track with his water changes. Thanks a ton!

Why do they make the .5gallon tanks, btw, if bettas can't live in them? What can live in them?
Old 04-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #6 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

It's just a misconception that they live in tiny little puddles, so they essentially make tiny tanks because they're "cute" and inexpensive. You can get unscented epsom salts from most drug stores. Giant 1-2 L jugs of them. Make sure you check his water temperature too! Want it between 26-30 degrees Celsius! Any lower and you definitely need a heater. Don't feel bad. I didn't know any better when i first started with a betta!

Tags
cloudy, eye