Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2013, 03:24 AM   #21 
Otterfun

just a side note, RCS should not interbreed within its own species, e.g. blue pearl, yellow shrimp, sakura shrimp, red crystal shrimp. It will produce brownish babies because the color revert back to the original color.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #22 
ao
TFK Moderator

crystal red shrimps are carindinas I believe.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #23 
Rilly10

It is gonna be at LEAST a month before I add anything else. I tried two baby snails and they died :( The ammonia is high because my tap water has ammonia (0.5) so I have been doing changes everyday and Prime and stability everyday too. I am gonna try adding bottled (spring) water today for the changes to see if that gets the ammonia down. I hope I can get this under control. It is only the first week of cycling so I have a while to go.
Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #24 
Rilly10

If I do get to the point where the levels are all ok for shrimp I will prob try red cherries first. MAYBE fire reds. I will only do one color though as I don't want multiple types in one tank. IF I can keep the RCS healthy in the larger tanks, I may try the Yellows in my 4 gallon. I have a long way to go with cycling though first!

Todays agenda is try to get ammonia to safer levels with the bottled water and find/order some more plants!! ;)
Old 04-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #25 
Otterfun

RCS are the easiest for first time owners: guarantee success if the tank is cycled and properly maintained. FYI SPEC V will be a great shrimp tank.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #26 
Rilly10

Thanks! I am excited! :) Now to get THOUGH the cycle without killing my poor Bettas!
Old 04-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #27 
Otterfun

try TheShrimpFarm.com for starters just to get experience on RCS. He sends RCS that are already berried. But DOA rate is about 40%. He does have a DOA guarantee if you report it within 2 hours of delivery. I cannot do that since I am at work, oh well...

FYI, RCS can go with Amano. But Amano will be three times its size. I had my amanos when I had my fish-in cycle and they survived fine.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #28 
Rilly10

I hate to admit it but When I first set up my tank (before I knew better) I bought 2 ghost shrimp. I acclimated them as advised, but they both dies within a few hours. SO now I am terrified to get anything else yet!
Old 04-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #29 
Otterfun

ghost shrimps do not last as long as amano. but yes, it's always better to have inverts when the tank is fully cycled just to be safe.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #30 
ao
TFK Moderator

shrimps are super sensitive. especially those with fast metabolisms like the ghost shrimp. You probably need to plant enough to accomodate the ammonia levels first...

Fire reds are a grade of red cherry shrimps.

I think I saw some one selling cherries at a good price on the tropicalfishkeeping.com's classified forum
ao is offline   Reply With Quote