Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #11 
iambeetle

sounds awesome! I should look into that! and what kind of air pump should I get for 5 gallon? Is there different power ones like the powerfilter?
iambeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #12 
logisticsguy

Waterdog is right. i find the mechanical filtration of sponge to be very good. Every water change i squeeze them out and the muck turns the water dark brown. I only use sponges on all tanks 10g and less but noticed my fish store friend has gone to sponge on every single tank and he has 100+ with every kind of fish imaginable.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #13 
waterdog

Yes, and for one spone just get the smallest air pump you can. You will still have to put a control valve on the airline as it will still probably be too strong. The same ebay site I posted earlier also sells air pumps. I bought a filter and air pump with a built in control valve for one of my coworkers tanks for less than $15 delivered.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #14 
VincentTH

Sponge filters remove harmful Ammonia in the tank, and convert them to nitrite (and then nitrate), the later is not/less harmful to the fish. It does absorb some little particles suspended in the water, as part of the filtering generated by the rising bubble air sucking in the water, but nothing compared to a power filter.

I do weekly water change by siphoning out 30-50% of the water. This will remove the waste that accumulate at the bottom of the tank and also remove the final waste product in nitrate form. Every few weeks, I follow the water changing with removing the sponge filter itself, and squeeze it inside the bucket of water I just siphoned out from the tank, in order to get rid of particles trapped inside the sponge filter.

If you use a power filter, it basically does the same with the additional benefits of also trapping suspended particles. The bio filtering is done by the bio-filters inside the power filter, and the power filter also trap suspended particles in its mesh filter. With that said, you still have to do weekly/bi-weekly water change to remove the nitrate.

The problem with using power filters is that the betta do not like moving water, and may harm their long fins, so that's why sponge filters are preferred.

For more infos about the nitrogen cycle, here:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111960
VincentTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #15 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentTH View Post
and convert them to nitrite (and then nitrate), the later is not/less harmful to the fish.
Please tell me this was a typo and you are not telling people that nitrates are NOT less harmful to fish than ammonia!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #16 
VincentTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
Please tell me this was a typo and you are not telling people that nitrates are NOT less harmful to fish than ammonia!!!!!!!!!
I wrote not/less, which means it is "not __or__ less" harmful ....

I always thought that's what the / means?
VincentTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #17 
waterdog

I had no idea. Sorry, it just worried me.