Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #31 
Livelifelaughlove

God it literally takes me 20 minutes to catch him! he may have had fin rot but that bugger can swim!
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #32 
dramaqueen
Banned

Like one of mine that has swimbladder issues. He sure has no problem making it to the bottom when he's being chased with a net! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #33 
Kim

Ok, to add to the original part of this post, basically every "tank" that Petco has under the bettas is horrible! They are either really small, or both really small and divided for 2 bettas. I mean, the betta can hardly turn around in those things! When I got my new girl betta there was a woman there looking through the bettas (and being quite rough as well). So she starts looking at those tiny little tanks at the bottom too...I then knew that she obviously didn't know anything about bettas. So I educated her :) Actually, she ended up talking to my mom and I heard some of the conversation so I came over. She asked about breeding bettas so I explained it (and how it should only be attempted by someone knowledgeable). I won't bore you with the entire conversation, but I also managed to interject in a nice way that bettas need a heater and that I keep mine in larger tanks because they do need space to swim. I did this after explaining the breeding process so she knew I wasn't just some "stupid teenager". I don't know if she will do anything, but at least I knew I tried.

Honestly, I wish I could just smash all those little tanks under the bettas and replace them with larger tanks with heaters labeled "betta tanks"! Then maybe people would just blindly follow that new trend too!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #34 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good for you for trying to educate that woman. Hopefully she will take your advice.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #35 
veganchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I don't believe a 1 gallon should be considered torture, either, as long as the water is kept as clean as possible.I have mine in acrylic containers and they are easy to keep clean.
I think that bettas can thrive in bigger tanks with no filter, but in something small as a 1 gallon, they need a filter to thrive, but not to live
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #36 
dramaqueen
Banned

A filter definitely helps to keep the water clean.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #37 
veganchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Ok, to add to the original part of this post, basically every "tank" that Petco has under the bettas is horrible! They are either really small, or both really small and divided for 2 bettas. I mean, the betta can hardly turn around in those things! When I got my new girl betta there was a woman there looking through the bettas (and being quite rough as well). So she starts looking at those tiny little tanks at the bottom too...I then knew that she obviously didn't know anything about bettas. So I educated her :) Actually, she ended up talking to my mom and I heard some of the conversation so I came over. She asked about breeding bettas so I explained it (and how it should only be attempted by someone knowledgeable). I won't bore you with the entire conversation, but I also managed to interject in a nice way that bettas need a heater and that I keep mine in larger tanks because they do need space to swim. I did this after explaining the breeding process so she knew I wasn't just some "stupid teenager". I don't know if she will do anything, but at least I knew I tried.

Honestly, I wish I could just smash all those little tanks under the bettas and replace them with larger tanks with heaters labeled "betta tanks"! Then maybe people would just blindly follow that new trend too!
Thanks kim!!!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #38 
Kim

I like to educate people ;) I do it at school too, whenever anyone says they have a betta!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:14 PM   #39 
Livelifelaughlove

Lol whether they like it or not, they WILL be educated! lol
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #40 
dramaqueen
Banned

When I run into someone who has a betta, I ask all the usual forum questions: what size tank is he in? How often do you change the water? Does he have a heater or filter....