Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #21 
AyalaCookiejar

I think sometimes even shipping would be really expensive because it weighs so much. I think the free shipping on orders over $49 does not apply to aquarium gravel.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #22 
isochronism

I also use black gravel in my tanks since mine are all on a windowsills and black does not reflect the light.
It really shows off the fish and plants.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #23 
Jexx

you are better off to just go into the store to buy your gravel, whether you go for black or natural. Its cheaper because you won't have to pay shipping. plus its super easy to find in any pet store. Petsmart, petco, they all sell similar brands of gravel. Caribsea and marina make really good ones though.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #24 
finnfinnfriend

So what brands of gravel hold their color best?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #25 
Fishybitty

I wish to go black also, but. I already have 15 pounds of blue just sitting around and then in my tanks I have natural rock (25 pounds in each).

My mother has dark blue like 40 pounds (almost looks black) which I will probably use.

It sucks changing your mind ;p
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #26 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

well the walmart brand that I told you about hasn't lost any color in 2 years, neither has my petco stuff either. I've had some pieces chip but it's been like 3 pieces total and I just took them out.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #27 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
well the walmart brand that I told you about hasn't lost any color in 2 years, neither has my petco stuff either. I've had some pieces chip but it's been like 3 pieces total and I just took them out.
Oh okay. I have read reviews about the petso stuff where it lost it's color, but maybe those people are just crazy lol :)
Old 04-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #28 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Oh okay. I have read reviews about the petso stuff where it lost it's color, but maybe those people are just crazy lol :)
Haha maybe, I think it depends on how much you "put it through" as well, like the types of fish/water conditions/ etc. but they've always been great in my betta tanks, but I do actually trust my walmart brand more because it's been the one that has stayed the most consistent and it's cheaper ^^
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #29 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Haha maybe, I think it depends on how much you "put it through" as well, like the types of fish/water conditions/ etc. but they've always been great in my betta tanks, but I do actually trust my walmart brand more because it's been the one that has stayed the most consistent and it's cheaper ^^
I don't have a Walmart near me :/

I like the way the Marina gravel looks, but unfortunately it is very expensive...
Old 04-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #30 
Naladari

If you are looking at petco and petsmart. From my experience petsmarts substrate is less expensive.
If I'm budget buying, or looking for mates I use te rule of thumb that petsmart is better for equipment and petco is better for fish.
I'll never buy a petsmart betta for a couple reasons. Mostly because I found one with Mycobacteria.
Around here Walmart tends to be the most expensive out of the three.
Naladari is offline   Reply With Quote