Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #1 
xcinnamonx

cheap affordable filter

So I bought 2 penn-plax filter kits and I was reading what everyone said about it and im starting to second guess myself.

I have two 5.5 gallon tanks, I need a cheap affordable filter. And if there isn't one I can buy, where can I find instructions on how to build one.

I don't have filters and I don't want my fish to die :( since I read if you don't have one they'll die faster.
xcinnamonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #2 
jadaBlu

You can use a sponge filter like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Bioch...=sponge+filter

You will need an air pump, The Top Fin one for 10 gallons at Petsmart works, and adjusable T-valve, also a backflow filter which saves your air pump if your power ever goes out. You can run two tanks off the same air pump. I am able to run up to 3-4. You also should also have a water test kit if you don't already have one. If you get this and need any suggestion or help for set up feel free to PM me.

This is a video of one of my fish swimming in a 2 gallon tank that shows this filter running:

http://youtu.be/Xy68t6jEdG8

My next choice is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You'd have to buy two but it has good reviews for being a gentle filter good for bettas.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:09 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

two sponge filters running off one airpump would probably be cheapest - you would need to buy the airpump, airline tube and the actual filters. There is a way to divide to use some kind of attachemnt so that you can hook up 2 aitline tubes to one airpump..I think? They do sell pumps with a place to plug in 2 tubes as well.

One betta in a 5G won't die if you don't have a filter as long as you keep up on weekly water changes. I have some in unfilted 3 gallons and they are almost 2 years old.

Also, another option is using plants to cycle the tanks but you need to have a certain type of light and you need certain species of plants. Plants would be safer then doing a fish in cycle because you wont be exposing the bettas to high levels of ammonia and nitrites.

I have a tetra 10i in my 5G. The outflow is a little strong so I built a forest in front of the filter with tall, bushy, silk plants and stuffed some filter foam where the water flows out of the filter.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:54 AM   #4 
jag14

I would use the tetra 10i. The flow doesn't bother my betta, he frequently stays in the same corner as the filter or even under it. My last betta played in the outflow. They are pretty cheap and very dependable.
jag14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #5 
Blue Fish

I use these:
(very, very cheap, got them before I knew better...but they worked, so I just didn't replace them)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Regent-For...-1-ct/10313136

And I just stuff a sponge into the intake, and then rubberband another sponge to the outflow/waterfall. Let the sponge hang down into your water, and you will have NO CURRENT at all. None. This works great for me. :)

I hope that helps!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #6 
kyle89

10 I is a nice filter for the price. It has a spot to stuff sponge to baffle the input and aquarium sponge could be used to baffle the outflow. I have an adjustable 10i and its nice
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #7 
xcinnamonx

So I got the Tetra Whisper 10i and I love it, its quiet and my fish don't seem to be having to much trouble with the outflow now. They did for the first part and I watched them as they were spinning. Turkleton likes to swim around his. Mario is still skeptical.
xcinnamonx is offline   Reply With Quote