Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #1 
justmel

Flowerhorn Cichlid

My fiance is dealing with my betta addiction well. He just shakes his head when I fall in love with a new one and bring it home. Shakes it again when I tell him I need a new tank & supplies. Now he wants a Flowerhorn. He had one before & it lived a long life & got very large. I told him to give me some time & do the research so we can set up a good tank for this fish. My first step is to ask you all if anyone can tell me specifics for this fish. He wants only 1 Flowerhorn and was thinking of putting it in a 10 gallon tank. Is a 10 gallon large enough for 1 cichlid? Should it be left alone or is it going to be happier with some tank mates? What is the ideal temp for them? extra. I have time to do more research & I will be doing it, but can anyone help me out a bit here? Thanks!
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #2 
Chevko

I think that cichlids need 20+, going off just memory - they get pretty big. It might be more of a 40+, but that might be a specific other type of cichlid.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #3 
justmel

With the size his last one got I think a 10 gal is probably the absolute least & like putting a bettas in a little bowl. I was thinking about a 30 maybe, so right in the middle there. It's been a few years & I'm working off memory right now too.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Wikipedia is saying this about flowerhorns.

Quote:
They require a tank of a minimum of 55 gallons, with 125 gallons optimal
Pretty sure they get fairly large and can be nasty. I probably would not get any other fish if you are just sticking with the bare minimum tank size.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #5 
jeaninel

A 10 gallon would be waaay too small. Flowerhorns get large, around the 12" mark and would need at least a 75 gallon tank. They are aggressive and do best alone.
Posted via Mobile Device
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #6 
GoodMorning

10g is way too small. I've always thought flowerhorns were ugly with that huge ball on their head, lol....it was unattractive for me. But lately, i'm slowly getting drawn to them. I guess they are ok. You know what else is cool, tiger oscars.
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #7 
justmel

He may be supportive of me and my betta obsession, but getting him to listen to somethings can be SO hard. He always knows better. Anyway, I think I have convinced him to get the Flowerhorn at least a 40gal tank since Petco has them on sale now. Not as big as he should have, but a good starting point at least.

@Goodmorning, I agree. Flowerhorns are not my choice of fish, but Brad likes that knob on the head. The last one he had was very pretty in color and Fred (the fish) also had a good personality. He lived his whole life in 55 gallons btw. Still, if he's going to let me have over a dozen bettas and let me breed them I cannot complain and will help him take good care of his fish as well.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #8 
angelfish11788

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaninel View Post
A 10 gallon would be waaay too small. Flowerhorns get large, around the 12" mark and would need at least a 75 gallon tank. They are aggressive and do best alone.
Posted via Mobile Device
depends on breed and hybrids max lenighs are some what scatterd, a 75 for a flowerhorn is like a a 1 gallon fora betta, it can be done, my lfs has plenty of 16 show flowers. 125 bare IMO

Last edited by angelfish11788; 04-12-2013 at 08:24 PM.
angelfish11788 is offline   Reply With Quote