Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #1 
arkhamresident

Fin Rot and White Spots on Tail

Today I noticed that my betta has another case of tail rot and I saw some white spots on his anal fin. A few days ago he ate half of an algae wafer and has been a bit lethargic since. At first I thought it was just a digestion issue as his stomach was quite enlarged for about a day after his gorging. The three golden otos in the tank are acting normal and show no visible signs of illness.

He had fin rot about two months ago when the tank was still cycling (I didn't know about fishless cycling so we did the hard way...) and I attributed that to being stressed due to water parameters. It went away after a full cycle of Maracyn 2. I can't figure out what could be causing him to get ill nor how to treat it without harming the otos or ADF.

I don't have a hospital tank now but I should have a 20 gallon up and running in a day or two that I can transfer the other critters to and use the 10 gallon as a hospital tank for the betta.

Thanks.

Housing
10 gallon tank kept at 78 F with a 50 watt submersible heater and filtered with an Aquaclear 20 with BioMax and filter foam.
Tankmates are three macrotocinclus affinis and one african dwarf frog.

Food
The betta is fed Omega One Betta pellets and freeze dried bloodworms on occasion. He gets two pellets once a day except for the one or two days a week I give him bloodworms.

Maintenance

I do a 20% water change every Sunday and add API Tap Water Conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH: 7.6

Symptoms and Treatment
His caudal fin is breaking apart and he has white spots on his anal fin. He has bouts of lethargy and stays behind the heater for about an hour and then swims around for a few minutes before heading back to the heater. I noticed the symptoms this morning and have not begun any treatment yet. He had fin rot about two months ago. We've had him since 1/26 but I don't know his approximate age.
arkhamresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #2 
sunlight

For 10 gall it better to do 50% water changes weekly with gravel vacuuming and filter media rinse/swish in the tank water WITH a water change.
Do you have aquarium salt?
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote