Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #11 
Naladari

First I cut then melted to smooth my tube. Then I removed my tube all together. Then I put an airstone on a piece of tubing inside my sponge filter. I prefer how it is now. I don't believe the tube is necessary.
Naladari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #12 
VincentTH

The tube is necessary. The rising bubbles inside the tube cause the water to flow up the tube, and draw a small current into the sponge. The BB need a small current of water to supply them with the oxygen needed to covert ammonia (NH4) into Nitrite/nitrate(NOx) and H2O.

Last edited by VincentTH; 04-12-2013 at 09:40 PM.
VincentTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #13 
Tikibirds

Quote:
ou could do either. Its probably easier to take the tube off but laying it on its side is equally as good :
Wait, don't you need the tube in order to draw the water into the sponge? otherwise isn't it just a big airstone?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #14 
Jayloo

I have the filter in from day one but leave it off. Then I let them breed and hatch. Then as they free swim I remove the dad. && finally the day after I remove the father I turn on my sponge filter using a control valve to make the bubbling very slow. As the fry get bigger and stronger I slowly increase the bubbling until the air pump is fully in use. My fry are currently 17 days old and do great with the sponge filter going at full force. :)
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote