Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #1 
KoriC

Other medication options for Finrot? Please help.

I'm just curious, my boy Squishy has been having some fin rot issues. I had him dosed with AQ salt up until 6 or 7 days ago (Reached the maximum amount of days to dose him with it). I've been testing his water and I stepped up my water changes to every other day and all my readings have been staying low. Our tap water quality is excellent, I've tested it and the testing raised absolutely zero concerns.

I started him on Maracyn II because it was the only thing that I could find at our local Petsmart, and after 5 days I've been seeing no improvement. His fins stopped receding, but we're on 5 days and I'm fairly certain I see black edges on his fins again. I've just performed another water change, using a double dosage of Stress coat with it.

I get paid today, and when I do I'm going to go looking for another medication that might work better since I've read that Maracyn II is weaker than other medications and it is proving to be ineffective to me.

I know to stay away from items like bettafix and melafix etc. I saw some Jungle Fungal Clear tabs...but I'm VERY concerned about the Potassium Dichromate that's in it, so I didn't buy it. I've had to work with it for a term photography project, and I'd be quite content if I never had to worry about accidentally harming myself or anyone else with it.

I've kept my eyes open for a few other options, like the Jungle Fungal Eliminator (I don't know if it's different from the previous tabs I mentioned). But when I go out, I'd love to know my options, since there's a strong likelihood that I won't be able to find some medications and I'd hate to be get to the store and be unsure of the items on the shelf.

For good measure, here are specifications

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? It stays steayd around 80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets, I just managed to wean him off of flakes.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets morning and night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every other day, more as water testing dictates
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

I'm buying a master kit today if they're in stock. Ammonia was tested with a vial, everything else with a test strip because it's all I have atm.

Ammonia: 0 after this water change
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: colour is between 0 and 20
pH: 7.5
Hardness: Soft
Alkalinity: 120

Symptoms and Treatment
Black edges to his fins, no receding yet. He's completely unclamped and as active as he normally is.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A couple of weeks ago. It improved briefly with AQ salt but I reached the maximum amount of days so discontinued use.
Have you started treating your fish?

I've treated him with AQ salt which has been discontinued, and just ran a first run of Maracyn II that has been completely ineffective.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, but my other fish, Pickle, has been doing excellent in similar conditions, so maybe he requires more care? I'm not sure...

Thank you for any help you can provide.
KoriC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #2 
Jexx

We are fighting fin rot right now and I am using Bi-Furan. I got mine at Big Al's. Its a very good medication.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #3 
KoriC

Thank you very much for answering. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it~
Old 04-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #4 
KoriC

Found some API Tetracycline at a LPS, going to give it a try after giving him a small break from the Maracyn II. Fingers crossed that it works, I have my master test kit so hopefully that clears things up as well.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #5 
Jexx

good luck!
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:23 AM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

Tetracycline is good broad spectrum antibiotic. Unfortunately, a lot of bacteria are now resistant to it. (This is the same problem that occurred with Maracyn 2.) However, since you have it, I'd go ahead and use it. Hopefully, it'll do the trick.

If it's not effective, I suggest API Furan 2.

API Furan 2 contains the same two furan antibiotics found in Jungle Fungus Clear, but without the potassium dichromate. Also, Furan 2 lists the exact amount of each antibiotic. (The Jungle product doesn't list amounts.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #7 
KoriC

I hope so too. If worse comes to worse, I think that I'll try and order it online if I can. I did see a bunch of API boxes in the store, but I'm positive I didn't see any. I'm in the city for exams over the next few weeks, so hopefully they have something there if this doesn't work.

Thanks for your response~
Old 04-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

You could also try to find the Bifuran that Jexx mentioned. I'm not familiar with it, as it's not available at my local stores, but it also sounds like it contains two furan antibiotics (based on its name!).
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote