Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #11 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Apparently my suggestion is bad.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #12 
Sivan

Oh boy. I think I need to clarify some things. Sorry guys!

1. The light bulb I am using is a 15 watt bulb. It is half the length of my 5 gallon fish tank. It did NOT come with the tank. I do not know where it came from but it was in my parents' attic and intended for a smaller aquarium. I think it is fluorescent. I know it is dim and lets off a yellow-ish light. Because it is not intended for this tank, I think I can purchase a better one.

2. I do not want to completely eliminate algae as much as I desire to control it. I do not want my fake plant brown. I do not want my gravel brown. I want it controlled.

3. I do leave my tank unattended once a year for two months. During this time the light bulb is not (supposed) to be on and the room is naturally lighted. The cycle is usually maintained. I take my Betta with me during this time. He has a vacation house.

4. My tank has been cycled for a long time. I have had it running since January, when I had to restart my cycle. I think recently something may have altered it, however, because I had no measurable nitrates. I may have had changed too much water by accident last time.

5. My boy is currently in a hospital tank because I saw a small bit of something white growing on him. I decided to treat him without medication. He has no more traces of it but I am keeping him in the little tank for now. I want to deal with his 5 gallon as soon as possible because I cannot keep him in the little tank forever.

EDIT:: I have never seen a Fluval moss ball. Are they available in PetSmart? Would it be better than hawthorn? Should I just get hawthorn from PetSmart and place it into my tank? I never has a live plant before.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #13 
Nicci Lu

Petsmart carries an Exo Terra moss ball- it's supposed to do the same thing, but I've never heard how it works. I have heard it doesn't look as nice as the Fluval. Petco has the Fluval. I think they are both only good for two months.

Did you mean hornwort? The only water hawthorn I know of gets really tall, like 20 feet. The hornwort is super low maintenance, just plop it in and forget about it. It would probably be more cost effective than the ball, which needs to be replaced. Or get both hornwort and a real moss ball. As long as it has light.

If your light is dim and yellowish then it is definitely not right for plants and may well be encouraging algae. You need a florescent light at 6500K (daylight bulb), and they do get old after a year and need to be replaced. You don't have to get a fancy aquarium light- just go to a hardware store and look for 6500K.

Can you get a timer for your light when you go on vacation?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I've heard bettas like to play with moss balls- I've gotta get me one someday.

Last edited by Nicci Lu; 04-13-2013 at 12:33 AM. Reason: remembered something
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:02 AM   #14 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Why do you need to keep the light on all the time? You are ignoring me...
Old 04-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #15 
isochronism

Don't worry. It's part of being a man, Matt.
(and women say MEN don't listen) HA!! I'm a man, I know how it is :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #16 
ryancalif

^ lol.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #17 
Sivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci Lu View Post
Petsmart carries an Exo Terra moss ball- it's supposed to do the same thing, but I've never heard how it works. I have heard it doesn't look as nice as the Fluval. Petco has the Fluval. I think they are both only good for two months.

Did you mean hornwort? The only water hawthorn I know of gets really tall, like 20 feet. The hornwort is super low maintenance, just plop it in and forget about it. It would probably be more cost effective than the ball, which needs to be replaced. Or get both hornwort and a real moss ball. As long as it has light.

If your light is dim and yellowish then it is definitely not right for plants and may well be encouraging algae. You need a florescent light at 6500K (daylight bulb), and they do get old after a year and need to be replaced. You don't have to get a fancy aquarium light- just go to a hardware store and look for 6500K.

Can you get a timer for your light when you go on vacation?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I've heard bettas like to play with moss balls- I've gotta get me one someday.
Ah, yes. I mean hornwart, then. The one you can just plop in. I don't have to clean it or check for snails or anything? I'd prefer that to a moss ball I would have to replace every two months.

I'm not sure what you mean by a 6500k. I can only have a 15 watt maximum for my tank. I can't get a new hood right now or other parts. I'm not sure what my PetSmart carries in terms of bulbs but I will look once I know what to look for. I do not have any other pet stores near me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas
Why do you need to keep the light on all the time? You are ignoring me...
Nobody is ignoring you. I already stated in an earlier post that without the light bulb his tank is too dark. Your previous snarky comment was ignored because it was snarky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isochronism
Don't worry. It's part of being a man, Matt.
(and women say MEN don't listen) HA!! I'm a man, I know how it is :)
This comment is inappropriate. I would prefer if you provided help or suggestions, not trying to stir up trouble.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #18 
Nicci Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
Ah, yes. I mean hornwart, then. The one you can just plop in. I don't have to clean it or check for snails or anything? I'd prefer that to a moss ball I would have to replace every two months.
I suppose it depends on the location, but at my Petsmart I've never seen snails on their plants. The fish tanks have snails, but they keep their plants in a separate location. Not sure if all stores do the same. It would probably be a good idea to closely inspect it and put it under running water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by a 6500k. I can only have a 15 watt maximum for my tank. I can't get a new hood right now or other parts. I'm not sure what my PetSmart carries in terms of bulbs but I will look once I know what to look for. I do not have any other pet stores near me.
The K in 6500K stands for kelvins. It is separate from wattage and refers to the light spectrum that the bulb uses. 6500 is a kelvin temperature that uses colors in the light spectrum that plants can 'see' and utilize for photosynthesis. It's considered close to natural daylight. You can get 6500K bulbs in different wattages. For instance, I have two 13 watt bulbs that are 6500K in my 10 gallon. So, your fixture will be fine with a 15 watt 6500K if 15 watts is the max wattage.

The bulbs they sell for aquariums at pet stores are over priced and, as long as you're not a gung-ho, high light, CO2 injecting type, they are no better, IMO, than the ones you can get at Home Depot or Lowes that are sold for regular fixtures. Whether it's a pin type tube or a screw in, just look for a compact florescent rated at 6500K for whatever wattage you need. They usually say daylight on the package, but you have to make sure to look for the actual kelvin temperature because some labelled daylight are lower in kelvins. This is what I have:
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #19 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I have no clue how my last post was snarky, but what is it to dark for? Bettas don't need light...
Old 04-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #20 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

My hood will also only take up to a 15 watt so I got this one and its been a great light and also if you do get some floating plants like Hornwort or Ancharis would be another good one for you or Water Sprite all of which you dont have to plant into the gravel unless you want too. So this bulb would really work for you, mine puts out a nice bright light but not over bright with a blueish tint to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-UltraS.../dp/B003QZF7JA

Mikewetpets on Aquabid.come has great plants and he dips them for snails before shipping so you get any snails. He has all the plants and more I mentioned above and also I have one of his Aquatic Banana plants and it is doing great with this bulb.

Last edited by Perseusmom; 04-14-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote