Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #1 
Roemgie

Getting ready to get my girls together! Any advice??

Hey guys :)

So Maybelline, Ceylon, and Opal are all getting ready to meet for the very first time!

I have to admit I only have 3 more weeks of school :/ BUT I am staying here almost the whole summer to take two classes over the summer. I'm actually trying to figure out what I'm going to do because I'll be home for two week and then I'll be back but I don't know what to do with my ladies since it's a four hour drive!!

Anywho here are some before pictures of everyone :D

Here are how all my tanks are set up, I honestly cannot wait to be able to open the space up!!

I was using my prime lens so you won't be able to see into the 10 gallon very well BUT I have two caves so that they can go hiding if they want to :P

Ceylon is the one I worry most about because she seems to be the most aggressive out of my three girls (at least towards Maybelline).

Opals pop eye scare is non existent now! And i believe it was more stress than anything!

My beautiful Maybelline who started it all :) I'm going to move some plants from the 5 gallon into the 10 gallon while I'm getting those girls ready. I think I'm going to keep my 5 running for the just in case things

Now does anyone have any advice on how to introduce them and how long I should take to get them use to their new home?

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate 5-10

I did about a 80% water change yesterday since my Nitrate levels were really close to 50. So everything is ready to go!! I was planning on taking about an hour or so to let them get use to their new home. Unfortunately I forgot my breeder container at home -_- so all I have are clear cups and Maybelline's petco cup.
One thing I would like to say it that I have Ceylon and Opal on either side of Maybelline so they have been able to see each other for the past month. I think I'm going to move Ceylon over to Opal so they can see each other as well through their 2.5 gallon tanks before I start adding anyone. I'm thinking I'll allow Maybelline to go first since she is already in her own cycled 5 gallon and is used to the cycled water. I just am keeping my fingers crossed that this will work out!!
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #2 
Shadyr

Beatiful girls! You found an EE girl at Petco? I haunt the halls of my local one looking for one such and have yet to see any.

Hope they work well together
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #3 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
Beatiful girls! You found an EE girl at Petco? I haunt the halls of my local one looking for one such and have yet to see any.

Hope they work well together
Thank you and no no no my two EE are from Aquabid :P only Maybelline is from Petco. But i do wish I could have found one there!!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #4 
Artemis

You need at least 5 girls for a successful sorority. Two would gang up on one and then the two go after each other. Get two more and introduce them all at the same time. Then you'll be all good. Stay there for at least 10 minutes, they do initial exploring and then find each other and fight. For the most part they are fine but if they lock mouths, SEPARATE IMMEDIATELY, it's a method to drown the other. They can go right back but make sure to watch until you think the worst is done.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #5 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
You need at least 5 girls for a successful sorority. Two would gang up on one and then the two go after each other. Get two more and introduce them all at the same time. Then you'll be all good. Stay there for at least 10 minutes, they do initial exploring and then find each other and fight. For the most part they are fine but if they lock mouths, SEPARATE IMMEDIATELY, it's a method to drown the other. They can go right back but make sure to watch until you think the worst is done.
I do know that more is better. A lot better but I cannot have more than these 3 for the soul reason of traveling. After about an hour or more of letting my two get use to the 10 I let them go. All three of them are doing well so far and I stayed in my room for 4 hours checking on them. Thank you for the heads up on locking of their jaws, they haven't done that but now I know!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #6 
MoonShadow

As long as they have TONS of hiding places they should be ok! Just keep a close eye on them for a few days! My girls are usually fine except for around dinner time! My big blue ct is the alpha in the tank, and she is mean, but I have 13 girls so the agression is well spread out!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:05 AM   #7 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShadow View Post
As long as they have TONS of hiding places they should be ok! Just keep a close eye on them for a few days! My girls are usually fine except for around dinner time! My big blue ct is the alpha in the tank, and she is mean, but I have 13 girls so the agression is well spread out!
I believe I'm going to need to be putting some at least fake plants in (to add more hiding places). Opal has some fin ripage and I know that they'll be fighting for a few days but when do I say enough is enough? She seems, when stressed, to have swim bladder issues or at least she has trouble swimming down. I'm afraid she's almost like a sitting duck where she is but I don't have a way of separating her without it just being the other two.

How long does it usually take for everyone to be ok?
Old 04-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #8 
Artemis

Even with 5 girls I am getting 2 today. Epione has taken control and without any girls dominate enough to help distract her or take charge,the others are going to have a hard time feeding.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #9 
MoonShadow

Sororities are tricky because it all comes down to the individual fish. If you have one girl getting picked on really bad the agression isnt spread out enough and its possible 2 girls have decided to "join forces" and go after the weakest in the tank. Thats when you need to add more females! !
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #10 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Even with 5 girls I am getting 2 today. Epione has taken control and without any girls dominate enough to help distract her or take charge,the others are going to have a hard time feeding.
Actually Ceylon seems to be the most dominate but Maybelline and Opal have no problem taking food from Ceylon actually. They all get their fair share of food it's just Opal when stressed has swim bladder issues so she's like a sitting duck at the top but is getting better :)